Chapter Six: Sleeping Quarters

We are taken into the Training Centre where District One have a whole floor to ourselves. Fortunately, we're on the Ground Floor so I don't have to suffer going into the elevator with the District Twelve tributes. 

We are shown to our rooms. Mine's huge but I'm not widely impressed because I have a room similar to this at home, because I live in the Victor's Village as my mother's a victor. One thing that does interest me though is this button which allows you to zoom in anywhere on the Capitol. It's cool, especially considering that I've never seen that much of the Capitol. 

I'm playing around with this for about half an hour when there's a knock on my door, and without me even answering, the person opens it and Gloss steps in. 

"Hi," he says

"Hi," I reply, quickly stepping away from the machine, feeling childish. 

"So, " he says sitting on my bed and patting the space next to him for me to join him, "Cashmere and I have decided to coach you separately. "

"Cool, " I reply

"Now obviously becoming allies with Districts Two and Four are priority, " he says, "But you'll need people you can rely upon in case things become...nasty."

"What do you mean?" I ask

"Well, take Glimmer for example. She's made friends with that kid from Two quite quickly, which means if your alliance breaks up, then she has someone who can protect her. Who could you make allies with?"

"Well there's Marina from Four and Clove from Two, " I say slowly, "I don't think the kid from Four is any good."

"Weapons?"

"Marina's great with the Trident and a sword and Clove's great with knives, " I say, "But the thing is, Gloss, I don't know how close Clove might be with Cato."

"That's something we can discuss later, " says Gloss, " Right now your priority is to make close friendships with Clove and Marina. Understand?" I nod. "And watch Cato," he adds, "He might be trouble. "

"He's not good at long-distance, " I say. 

"Then when the time comes, use that to your advantage, " Gloss says, "Now, as for training, show off your skills. You need to intimidate the other tributes and show those from Two and Four that you are someone they need." 

"What about that giant from Eleven?" I ask, remembering the dark-skinned guy from the Reapings. 

Gloss pauses for a moment, "Well, I suppose it's worth a shot, " he says after a while, "But I doubt he'll accept joining. The underlying districts don't really like Districts One, Two or Four because we usually win. " He flashes me a smile. 

We go and join Cashmere and Glimmer for tea and are just tucking into a lamb stew when the door opens and Gwen Maple hurries in. 

"Glimmer, dear, " she says, breathlessly, "there's a man here who wants to see you."

"Can't it wait?" grumbles Glimmer sulkily

"Now now dear, that's not the attitude. This is very important."

Glimmer reluctantly gets off her chair and is about to follow Gwen Maple out when Gwen turns and says to Cashmere, "You might be needed too, dear."

Cashmere raises her eyebrows at Gloss and follows Glimmer and Gwen out. As the door closes, Gloss and I resume our conversation on our strategy and how I will survive in the arena. 

We finish the main course and wait for Glimmer and Cashmere to return. Gloss continues to drill me- this time on my spear throwing. He's just asking me how many spears I can throw accurately in a minute, (Answer between 3 and 10), when the door bursts open and Glimmer marches past the table and to her room, followed by an infuriated Cashmere. We hear a bang as the door slams shut and hear Cashmere yelling for her to open up.