ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 1

Annalise/Ann's POV

I awoke to the smell of smoke. Heavy smoke covered my room, to where I couldn't see anything. I begin to violently cough of the smoke I inhale. I jump out of bed and head toward the window. I open it and gasp at the sight before me; houses on fire, people and animals running in all different directions.

"Annalise," I hear someone scream. It's my mother. She barges into my room. "Darling, we must leave at once." She says while she grabs my wrist and leads me out of the room.

"Mama, what's going on?" I ask her, trying to keep up with her long strides. She stops then turns to me, "The King's men are destroying the village." The king and his men are ruthless. They feel no remorse.

When the king lost his parents, he completely changed; from being a sweet little boy to now a merciless ruler. My mother led me out of the house. I am appalled at the sight before my eyes. Dead burned bodies everywhere I look. Wife's clinging to their dead husbands and vice versa. Children covered in soot. I feel my eyes swell with tears of the idea that a human can do these horrible things and not feel remorse.

My mother grabs my hand again and runs. "Where are we going?" I ask between cries.

"We are meeting your father at the pier, where we will sail away to the English Kingdom. We will be safe there." She says.

At the mention of my father, I pray he made it to the pier safely. Suddenly, one of the King's knights appears in front of us on horseback. "Where are you two going?!" He commanded. My mother stood stiff and wide eyed and answered, "We are going to the pier." I knew the reasoning why my mother told to truth, she was afraid of what might happen to us if she lied.

"To the pier? Are you defying the King's orders? His majesty ordered every villager must be in the town square and anyone who is caught escaping must be killed immediately." He spat with venom. He unsheathed his sword and pointed it at my mother.

I whimpered and flinched. Tears run down my cheeks at the thought that we were going to die.

"No, we will do what the King wishes. Now please put your sword away." My mother said with all the strength she had left. He ignored her and pointed his sword in the direction we were supposed to be going. With an aggressive tone he said, "MOVE IT." My mother gripped my hand. We walked toward the village square. I was afraid of what was to come.

  𝔈𝔫𝔡 𝔬𝔣 ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 1

𝓃𝑜𝓉𝑒: How was the first chapter? Hopefully it was to your liking and interesting for you to keep reading!  Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!  Bye!