Chapter 8

I kicked everywhere. But there was no way out of the trailer. I gave up and stood ready to attack. I heard a lot of noise. When the truck door opened I sprinted out with striking feet ready to kick. The trailer drove and I was locked in a huge corral. I heard a loud speaker say," We got the last bronco so you have an hour to sign up to win the bronco you chose! I was the meanest out on all the mean horse. The crowd of people laughed at me. I bared my teeth and reared viscously. This must have been a horse fair. I reared trying to strike people on the other side of the fence. I saw a familiar girl all of a sudden. It was Ashleigh. She looked at me and said," Starfire!" I stopped rearing looking at Ashleigh. I looked sweaty and ugly. Ashleigh reached out to me. I felt sad. Then anger suddenly rose in me. I reared at her. I continued to rear. Ashleigh left the crowd. I saw Sonya and Lightning at a hitching post. I ignored them. An hour later all the people who were doing the bunking bronco competition came in and got in line Ashleigh in the back. The announcer said," This is the meanest horse a human has ever seen! Lets see if anyone can ride him!" I was released into a huger field. A man entered and all went quiet. I saw Ashleigh watching. I laid my ears down and bared my teeth. The man sprinted over and whipped me. He tried getting on my back but I kicked him off. I almost killed him when someone stopped me. I reared angrily and was let go. Another person entered. I did the same that I did before. This gone on until Ashleigh was the last one to go. I laid my ears flat and bared my teeth. "It's me Starfire "Said Ashleigh. I sprinted over. I knocked her over and reared about to kill her. I was kicked over. I looked up to see Sonya. I quickly stood and pushed Sonya over. I reared to kill her. Then Lightning pushed me. "Get Ashleigh!" Lightning shouted to Sonya. Then Lightning said to me," Why were you trying to kill Ashleigh? And the horse you loved!" I got up and strike. Me and Lightning fault. Lightning didn't try to hurt me. I angrily pounded at him as hard as I possibly could. Lightning struggled. Sonya came running back out. Ashleigh was riding her. I pounded Lightning over and stomped. Lightning whinnied with pain. I had missed and pounded Lightning's leg. I reared. Lightning sputtered painfully, "No! Don't do it Starfire! You will regret it someday. I started landing. Sonya kicked me. I saw a group of vets enter. I ran to the corner of the field. Lightning and Sonya were led away. Then I froze. What have I done! I wanted to kill Lightning! And Sonya! I remembered my promise to Dashes. That I would never kill. My legs shook. This was the first time since I have ever stopped and thought. I hung my head with shame. Anger and shame balanced in me seeing witch one would be higher. Ashleigh started walking over to me. I saw a deep cut in her arm and cuts crossed her face. Look what I have done! Ashleigh held her hand out as she drew near. I've hurt Lightning! My best friend! Sonya too! Ashleigh's hand was almost close to my face. I laid my ears down warning. "Please boy! I know what you have been through! I want to help you! Please! Let me help." I backed up a little. I shamefully aloud Ashleigh's hand to rest on my face. I slowly let her stroke to my neck. The audience was quiet and shocked. I owed Ashleigh. I wanted my family back. I wanted to be happy again. Tears sprang in Ashleigh's eyes. "I'm here Starfire! Thank you so much! Please. Give me a chance! Let me take you home with me! But you have to let me ride you for one second at least!" Ashleigh slowly got on my back and held my main. I felt angry. I bunked Ashleigh off and sprinted away. Ashleigh sobbed," I'm sorry Starfire! It's my fault! I should have tried harder to keep you before! The speaker said softly," This young lady got on this horse's back when nobody else did! She is awarded the meanest horse a human has ever seen!" The crowd cheered but Ashleigh ignored them still lying on the ground. I walked over apologizing to her. Ashleigh petted me and whispered, "You may have been known as the meanest horse a human has ever seen but to me, you're the nicest one no matter what you do. And the best one! I love you Starfire." My heart softened. I asked Ashleigh in my horse way, take me home.