Chapter 4

Sergio couldn't remember a time when he was ever this happy. Having Sal — not just in his life, but in his home and at his side — beat out his wildest dreams. No matter how early or how late his work schedule was, she was there to kiss him good morning and goodnight. She was there to drive Davy to and from school when Sergio's schedule wouldn't allow him to, making it possible for them to ensure Davy was never alone — not even for a minute. She managed to secure a three-quarter-time job as a home health nurse that allowed her to only have to work while Davy was in school.

Sal also completely redecorated Sergio's former bachelor pad, replacing his odd-and-end basic necessities with sets of furniture that actually matched. In short, she had his condo looking like a real home by New Year — right down to the little doghouse in the corner of their living room. It was for Chaz, the new puppy Sal had bought Davy a few weeks earlier.

But most importantly, Sal completed their family. She was an incredible wife and mother. Sergio's biggest fear was that he would wake up one morning and find his marriage to her had been nothing more than a dream.

He rolled over in bed on New Year's Day to discover her eyes were already open, watching him with a soft, dreamy expression.

"How do you do it, chica?" He reached for her and cradled her against him, nuzzling her hairline and kissing her forehead. "No matter how many times my work schedule changes, you are here for me. I just want you to know, you don't have to twist yourself in knots trying to wrap your days around mine. I'm not that kind of guy. You can sleep in once in a while without feeling guilty."

"I know, but sleep is way over-rated," she slid an arm around his neck and snuggled closer, "especially compared to spending time with the man I love."

He grew very still. "Do you mean that, Sal? Do you really love me?"

"I've always loved you, cariño." She kissed him tenderly.

"My princesa," he muttered, unable to resist her kiss while still craving more in the way of assurance.

"But somewhere along the way, I fell in love with you," she confessed shyly. "I think it happened when you started dating Coco."

"Okay." Not what I was expecting to hear. Sergio drew back to grin down at her. "Since girls talk and since the two of you are such great pals, I assume you already know that Coco and I never so much as kissed."

Sal swatted his shoulder. "But you wanted to."

He shrugged and pulled her closer. "I thought I wanted to, but something always held me back. In the end, there just wasn't anything more than friendship and mutual respect between us. I was single, lonely, and looking; but that's about it."

"Well, you're not single any longer, deputy, so your looking days are over." Sal affectionally tugged on a lock of his hair.

"My looking days will never be over, chica." He cupped her cheek to gaze adoringly at her. "Not when I have such a lovely señora in my arms and in my life."

"Nice save," she teased, waggling a finger beneath his nose, which he bent down and kissed. "You're not lonely any more, either." But her voice rose uncertainly. It was more of a question than a statement.

"Most. Definitely. Not." He touched his mouth to hers. "But just to be sure," he teased, "I really don't think we should rush out of bed this morning." He deepened his kiss.

A crash and the sound of breaking glass had them springing apart and leaping out of bed.

Sergio yanked open his nightstand drawer and drew out his nine millimeter. "Stay here," he growled, praying Sal would listen to him for once and hide while he faced whatever or whoever was in their living room.