Part 12 - Epilogue

"How's the weather up there?" he asked, changing the subject yet again.

"Will, what's up with you?" I asked, setting down my coffee on the desk. I adjusted my cell phone from one shoulder to the other. "You're acting weird."

"I may or may not have a secret I'm trying very hard not to reveal." He laughed. I heard the wind whipping around as he spoke. "You are the absolute worst person to keep secrets from. You can smell them from a mile away."

"Most of the time, at least." My laugh faded as I thought about how my ex-boyfriend had been lying to me for a year about his identity and intentions, and it had almost ended in the death of the man I really loved. "Is this secret one of those 'your whole life is about to change' secrets? Because I'm not sure I can handle that without a little warning."

"Maybe." He mused. "I've been missing you so much since you went back to school. Those two weeks were simply not long enough."

I sighed, thinking of the two blissful weeks I'd spent with him. We'd spent every waking minute together- talking, playing games, sharing meals with our families. We'd even started planning the wedding, the date of which we were still in disagreement over (Will was ready to get married now- I was not). But that had been a couple months ago. It was mid-March, and I was a week away from going on Spring Break. I'd planned to hop in my car and drive home to surprise him.

"It's been so long, Will." I groaned. "But my lease is up in a couple months. We can talk about what I'm gonna do next year."

"Your dream is NYU, Brenna. You shouldn't have to come home just because of me." He argued sweetly.

"Dreams can change, you know." I muttered. "I miss being with you too much."

There was a knock on my door. I looked suspiciously toward it, knowing I wasn't expecting any visitors.

"Hold on," I said to Will. "There's someone at my door." I walked across the small studio apartment and opened the door.

"Surprise."

Will stood in my doorway, his phone in his hand, a duffel bag thrown over one shoulder. I set my phone on the little table next to me and jumped into his arms. He laughed, squeezing me tight.

"What are you doing here?" I giggled, kissing his face and neck. He carried me back into the apartment and shut the door.

"Well," he cooed, setting me down, "I've missed you and you've missed me. I figured, why not come out here?"

"How long are you staying?" I asked, pulling him over to the couch. He flopped down next to me and put an arm over my shoulders.

"Well..." he paused, raising his eyebrows. "I was kind of thinking... permanently."

************

TO BE CONTINUED

TO BE CONTINUED...