Chapter 6 - Friends With Enemies

The sound of my footsteps pounding the paved ground is followed by the sound of another set of heavier and faster footsteps behind me.

I remember the sound of Dillon's voice calling after me as I ran off but then in my haze of anger and hurt, I don't remember how I got upstairs from the basement, or how I got past the crowded dancefloor. Now I'm running down the long driveway and someone is running after me.

The footsteps are getting closer but I'm not ready to face anyone, especially not Dillon. I'm so pissed, I'm about to cry. I'm so pissed, that if it's Dillon, I swear I'll do a lot of damage to his pretty face.

He is behind me now, so I yell, "Go away!" I don't want him to see me cry. Nobody ever needs to see me cry. Grandmother taught me that lesson early.

"Katherine," someone says. "Hey, Katherine..." Elias Gauthier.

I don't know whether I should be relieved that it's not Dillon or I should be more worried because it's Elias but I slow down to a fast walk. These boots weren't really made for running. "Not now, Elias."

"Katherine..."

"Listen!" I round on him. "If you want to knock me down, I'm already down, so don't bother. If you want to kick me while I'm already down, you have to take your t..tu...turn." To my mortification, my voice breaks, and tears prickle in my eyes.

He's about to say something but I hold up my hand to stop him as I swallow hard and take a deep breath. I can do this.

To his credit, he just stares at me- watching me silently like he always does. Like he's seeing me the way that no one else does and that's not a good thing, especially not right now. Especially not Elias. I desperately need my mask back on.

I blink and take another long deep breath before I calmly say, "Can we do this some other time?" Tonight is too much for me. Tears are threatening to spill over. I can only hide behind my fragile mask for so long and I'd rather hold on to what little pride that I have left.

He keeps staring at me as if he's trying to work something out and now I'm noticing how tall he is. I'm not a short girl but he's towering over me. His tamed hair is now unruly again from running. The dark curls ruffle in the wind. The lights of the driveway bring the shadows and planes of his chiseled bone structure into sharp relief. His long eyelashes cast shadows across the bridge of his nose.

When I figure that he's not going to answer me, I stiffly turn to walk away but then he asks, "What happened? Why were you running out like that? Did anyone hurt you?"

Hurt me? The image of Jane and Dillon flashes in my head.

He must have seen something in me because his expression turns hard. "Who hurt you?"

All of a sudden, I'm feeling vulnerable again...and confused. Did that really happen? "I'm fine. I just need to...I need to go home. I need to go home." I just want to get away from here.

"Who hurt you, Katherine? Tell me." His jaw clenches and his body is taut as though he's ready to pound anyone who did me wrong.

Tonight has been very strange. My friend and boyfriend betrayed me in the worst way and Elias is acting all protective and looks like he's ready to fight anyone on my behalf. "I'm okay...but why does it matter? You hate me, remember?"

His nostrils flare as he exhales a long breath in frustration as though he's trying to contain his aggression. "It's cold out here. Where's your jacket?" It's not what I was expecting him to say.

"What?" Now I'm noticing the bite of the cold wind on my exposed skin. I look back at him. He's not wearing a jacket either.

"Where is your car?"

"Huh?" Why does he want to know where my car is and why is he being all concerned about me?

He exhales in frustration. "Katherine..."

"It's somewhere out there." I point at the general direction of the road.

"Give me your key."

"Why?"

"You're not in a condition to drive," he answers.

"Sure I am," I argue, and with that, I turn around and continue to fast walk toward my car.

"No, you're not. You're too upset to drive," he declares, following me closely.

"I'm fine. I can drive just fine. I don't need a babysitter." I'm getting very pissed off again. I hasten my steps when I see my car.

"You're shaking. Anybody can see that you're very upset. Just hand me the key, Katherine."

"What anybody? No one else is here." I am shaking. I don't know whether it's from the anger or the cold wind. "Oh, look! Here's my car. I'm not giving you the key, so you can go now." My voice is purposely condescending. I pull the handle and the car automatically unlock itself.

"You know what? Never mind," he murmurs while his arm snakes around my middle. He picks me up, rounds the car with me in his arm, opens the passenger door, and deposits me inside. It happens so fast and I'm stunned from the feel of his strong arm around me and his warm body pressed against my back to offer any protest.

He smells good too - a faint manly aftershave smell. Expensive and elegant. Everything about him is elegant.

Before I recover my brain and my speech, he's already inside the car, adjusting the driver's seat to accommodate his long legs.

"What...That was...You...Ugh!!!" He is so...ugh!!! "You know what? You're so bossy...and annoying."

He gives me a sideways glance, looking amused and triumphant as he pushes the button to start the car. I forgot that he could drive my car even with the key inside my purse.

The song Criminal by Britney Spears fills the car as soon as the engine starts but that doesn't seem to bother him.

"You know what? Friends don't let friends drive upset," he says. There's an amused glint in his eyes and a smug little smile curving the corners of his lips that infuriate me further.

"Its friends don't let friends drive drunk, you..you..." Blast my grandmother for teaching me not to curse. "You know what? We're not even friends."

"You know what? I'm glad we're not."

Oh, my god! How can a person be so overbearing and irritating? "You know what? You're bossy and annoying."

"Yeah, you said that already. But you know what? You're very stubborn."

"Well, you know what? So are you!" I cross my arms over my chest and look out my side of the window.

He starts fiddling around and I watch him from the corner of my eye.

His fingers are long and elegant. His fingernails look immaculate. He probably has manicures and pedicures done. I imagine him sitting on a chair having his nail done like my grandmother often did when her nail technician made the house call. I smirk at the thought.

He pushes the button on the seat warmer control to heat up my seat and turns the heater towards me after he makes sure the temperature is in the right setting.

He only starts driving after he adjusts the review mirror and the side mirrors.

I feel better when the seat heats up and warm air fills the car. It's hard to hold on to my anger towards him when he's being thoughtful like that. Darn him!

****************************

Hey ya! 

Thank you for reading, voting, commenting, and the follow. My next update is going to be on Friday evening (est).

Please stay safe and healthy!

Much love,

Nicole♥