Chapter 10 - Olivia

I'm dreading class. As I take my seat in Astronomy, all I can do is stare at the door and silently beg that Lucas won't show up today, either. I don't want to face him.

My first mistake was letting myself in the Cage house, using the key that I was given years ago. My second mistake was stopping short when I overheard Lucas and Landon talking and then standing off to the side to eavesdrop. I couldn't help it. Lucas was comforting Landon and it was surreal to me. I could hear how much he cared for his brother as he told him he'd bring him to campus one day to unwind and cheer up. I hadn't heard Lucas speak in such a gentle tone like that in years. All I could think was that the old him really was in there somewhere and I found myself grinning wide, strangely proud of him.

All too soon that moment was robbed from me.

Landon brought me up and then I really was locked in place, shamefully curious about what Lucas would say. He didn't agree when Landon called me hot (the little pipsqueak) but he paused like he was considering it. I can't believe I actually cared that he found me attractive because a second later, he made a snide comment about how I was making my way through the hockey team. He said I'd be good for a fuck and nothing else. He basically called me a slut and it felt like I was punched in the gut. How could he? How could he think so little of me and confidently degrade me like that to his own family? That's when I realized Lucas didn't have any limits to being an asshole and I was in over my head. I can't believe I let him see me cry. That's what I'm most embarrassed about. I don't want to have to look him in the eye today, knowing how pleased he is with himself that he got to me.

I tense up every time someone enters the class and then force myself to relax again. It's a vicious cycle and one I'm not happy to be caught up in. I debated skipping today but A) we have to get into pairs for our major assignment today and B) I don't want to give Lucas the satisfaction.

When Beck walks into class my anxiety actually increases. What if he thinks I'm a slut too? I know I'm the kind of girl that gets along with guys and most guys hate that so what must he think of me? Does he just want to get in my pants too? Am I just an easy fuck to him? Damn Lucas for putting all this doubt in my head. I pride myself in being a confident person and with one stupid comment he took that away from me.

"Hey," Beck grins as he takes his seat behind me. I smile back and face the front, suddenly uncomfortable in his presence and unsure of what to say. I feel him tap me on the shoulder and I reluctantly turn around. He stares at me with obvious concern. "Are you okay? You look upset."

"I'm fine," I shrug. I want to leave it at that but Beck deserves some kind of explanation. He's a nice guy and I don't want to make him feel like I'm taking advantage of that. "Actually, no. I am upset. I had a shitty weekend."

His eyes soften with sympathy. "That's right. You went to see your aunt."

I nod. Catching up with Aunt Emily was actually the best part of the weekend. It was her damned son that made me miserable but I don't clarify because semantics. That and the last thing I need is someone else getting involved in mine and Lucas' drama.

"Tell you what," Beck starts and leans forward in his seat. "The Drama and Arts program is holding an exhibit in their building of all the portfolios the seniors made. After class you and I can check it out and take your mind off things? They have great stuff. I've gone to their exhibits before."

I can feel myself warm up. It doesn't seem like Beck thinks of me as a slut or is trying to get into my pants at all. He's a genuinely nice guy and that makes me feel a shit ton better after I spent all weekend basically loathing myself.

"That sounds great." I place my hand over his. "Thank you."

"Of course." He pulls away but not before his thumb brushes across mine briefly. My stomach dips. "So, we're supposed to choose partners for the project today. I was thinking, you want to pair up?"