Chapter 11: Second Anomaly

Once upon a time- Hehe, sorry... I got a little too poetic there~! Either way, back in the past before the time Alex was born on Gaia, there existed a mercenary who was famed as a great fighter.

And by 'Fighter', I mean the name of her Class was called as such. It was a 'Common Class' nobody would see anything special about, unlike the rare class of 'Brawler' or 'Magister'. Not much to see...

However, this particular woman gained a name for herself despite the torturous odds against her. It was through dedicating herself wholly to master that her ordinary Class Skill: 'Close Combat' was polished. A systemic process of elevating her skills further.

Hard work allowed her to breathe life into the proficiencies. This caused her to indirectly lose out on the things other girls her own age experienced in their youth. She'd never knew the closeness of a friend. The fun of playing with dolls as a young girl...

In fact, all she had was the martial arts. She fully dedicated herself in practicing for years with great devotion to her craft. The girl one day grew into an inspirational woman. A fighter who many men felt inferior to. Having experiences others did not.

Though that was due to their own lack of diligence in training to fulfil the 'role' Gaia had given them. At least, that's how she saw it. Having thrown herself into danger multiple times more than others. She had the drive to achieve what she was born for.

In the human society of this world, there was no such thing as 'aspiring to work towards a dream job'... Their future was predetermined the moment they became aware of their 'Class' at a young age.

A fate set by Gaia...

Who needed dreams when you knew what your fate would be? What was the point of wanting more when the people had enough to be content with their lives... without being too envious or greedy? Wasn't it nice to know you were essential in this vast world?

Sure, she knew herself to be a cog in the machine. It wasn't like she was the only fighter around. It also wasn't true that she was the strongest. There were many who were simply more talented than her.

Like brawlers, who had shown they could do the same things as her... and so much more. In this kind of situation, an earthling would have had their pride shattered. Feeling that they were inadequate. That they were replaceable for more high-quality 'cogs'.

But neither her nor they saw it that way.

Having a class meant her role had value. If she was excelling in her own perspective, then that was the only thing that mattered. Those with rarer roles were simply different, and not 'higher quality' existences.

Like the time she had saved a brawler in a hunting mission, and ended up becoming good friends with that adventurer. Knowing that despite having less talent than him, her existence was irreplaceable.

He held gratitude for her saving his life.

For being the support in his team that day.

Life went on as usual.

The woman felt satisfied with her life.

It's fine if she was rather ordinary as a fighter.

This was her destiny.

Her role...

Those with non-combat related classes like the 'Educator' class were destined to become great teachers or tutors. Especially to those of standing people born into 'Nobility'; Those who had given birth to someone of a rare class each generation.

Dragoons, Samurais, Ninjas, all these classes beside the Warrior or Mage Class... were usually destined to surpass their peers in the aspect they excelled in. It was the norm. They were 'Rarer' talents, after all.