Chapter 2

"The time has come to form an alliance as deep as blood for our kingdom. Princess Rose will marry Prince Eric Heathwood of Onyxia for our kingdom's prosperity. The wedding will take place one month from now."

The announcement boomed through the silent dining hall and everyone's eyes widened as one. Gasps of surprise at the sudden words filled the tense air.

The king sat back down and picked up his fork, continuing to eat as if he hadn't just shattered every one of his daughter's dreams for the future. Rose sat stunned in her chair, barely able to keep the panic off her face. The room spun and the words of the people sitting next to her blended together to create a roaring cacophony in her ears. Everything around her was alarmingly loud but inside her it was so, so quiet.

The king had said before that he would only set the wedding date if she was caught outside the palace again. Why would he change his mind so suddenly? Did he only want to catch her off guard? She didn't dare ask him.

Rose's gaze dropped to her clenched hands in her lap. She had no choice but to be strong. Everyone was watching her. Besides, it was only marriage, right? She could live through this. She had met Eric once and he seemed like a demon to her. Rumors circulating around him hinted at the way he caught and tortured doves as a child, growing up to switch to catching and torturing people.

But she was Rose, the Crown Princess of Terrasia. She was not someone to be played around and trifled with. If anyone could handle Eric, it was her. In fact, it was better her than anyone else. Besides, she had a whole kingdom of people relying on her to keep them safe. She could pull herself together now and face this.

Rose unclenched her hands, wiped the cold sweat covering them on her dress, and picked up her fork. The entire table was looking at her, concerned.

"Rose? Do you need some air?" It was her mother speaking. Rose met her eyes. Her face was twisted into affected concern but her eyes were just stern. Rose was embarrassing her in front of the whole court.

"Oh...," Rose cleared her throat, "I am sorry. I'm fine. I was just dizzy for a moment. I wish nothing but the best for this alliance and the future of our kingdom. Let us all look forward to the wedding!"

She ignored the nods of agreement of everyone around her and began to eat. Soon, the attention was lifted off her and everyone began to speak of Onyxia, the kingdom they were to be allies with. It was not everyday that a royal wedding was about to take place. The entire court was having a field day with the old gossip about Prince Eric that was being brought back to light. Staying in the dining hall that night was one of the hardest things Rose ever had to do. All she wanted to do in that moment was cry and scream with rage about the future that was lost to her. She had always harbored a quiet hope that her parents would allow her to be queen without marrying, but she knew the alliance had to happen. There were many queens throughout her country's history that kept lovers and ruled without marrying, but Rose's parents were bent on this alliance too deeply to allow her to do this. And she had to follow their orders. She had no idea about what was good for her future and how to keep her kingdom safe. She was still learning, but her parents were experts.

The night wore on and, after many long hours, Rose was finally permitted to leave the dining hall and retire. She bowed to her parents and headed to her sister Lilith's chambers. Lilith had left much earlier because she was a very young child and her presence was not needed past dinner.

Lilith was Rose's younger sister of six years old. She was an unexpected child. Nobody expected the king and queen to have another child until the queen announced that she was three months pregnant to the entire court one day. It was a shock to the whole kingdom, and Rose sometimes felt like Lilith was the most unwanted child in the family.

Every child in the royal family had a purpose, except Lilith. Rose was the eldest daughter. She was going to be the queen of Terrasia someday and rule powerfully. Edward was the eldest and the only son. He would marry a rich woman of noble birth and bring more power to the kingdom. He also had the potential of being a king someday in another kingdom if he married a princess. But Lilith? She had no real purpose other than to be the beautiful face the kingdom needed desperately because Rose was so lacking in this aspect. That was her only reason for being alive in the eyes of the king and queen. All Lilith needed to do for the rest of her life was be pretty, marry well, and live quietly and sweetly. They were all lucky that Lilith was an extremely doll-like child and likely to grow into being the prettiest thing in the kingdom.

Rose reached her sister's rooms and the guards outside opened the doors, bowing.

"Lily? Where are you? I've come to tuck you into bed!" She called out. 

The young princess came running up to Rose with her auburn tresses and flowing nightgown flying behind her. "Rosie! Can you read a story to me today?" Lilith held up a small book of children's fairy tales.

"A story? Well...I don't know, Lily. I have to head back to my room really quickly tonight. I have to wake up at dawn tomorrow." It wasn't a lie. Rose had hell waiting for her with all the wedding preparations. She was sorry to see Lilith's face drop, so she tried to cheer her up. "Come on, it is getting late for you too. I promise I'll read a story to you tomorrow night."

"You said that yesterday," Lilith mumbled softly. Rose crouched down in front of her.

"I mean it this time. I'll take it further than just a promise, if you don't believe me. I pinky swear, Lily. I'll make it my absolute first priority to read to you tomorrow night." Rose held out her pinky. Her sister's face lit up as they linked their fingers.

"Okay Rosie! I believe you!"

Rose smiled her first real smile of the day as she led Lilith to her bedroom and lifted her into bed. "Sleep well, Lily. I will see you tomorrow," she said, tucking her into bed and kissing her forehead. Rose stood and was about to leave when her sister's voice stopped her.

"Rosie, after you get married, will you still read to me and come say goodnight everyday?" Lilith's voice was hopeful. The question seemed like she was just in need of reassurance, as if she had no idea that all their lives were about to completely change for the worse. Rose took a deep breath. The poor child was so young. She was the closest thing she had to a mother. The queen treated Lilith like a pretty doll that only existed when she had to prove to the kingdom that she was a loving mother. But...it was difficult to lie when the marriage was only a month's distance away. Rose turned around and faced her sister.

"Lily, you know all of our lives are going to change, right?"

"Do they have to change? Why can't Prince Eric live in his kingdom and you can live here? Or maybe he can live here? He is a prince, so he has to be kind, just like Eddy. Maybe he can read to me when you can't!"

Rose smiled at her innocence, but it wasn't a happy smile. The child's hopes would be completely crushed soon. Would Rose even see her more than once a year after she got married? The question made her heart ache. She had no choice but to lie. "Of course, Lily. I am sure he will be very princely. And I'll always tell you goodnight, Lily. Don't worry and sleep soundly, okay?"

"Okay. Goodnight Rosie."

"Sweet dreams," Rose whispered as her sister snuggled into her blankets. She left her room quickly before she broke down even more. 

---

Thanks for reading this next part! Constructive criticism would be much appreciated so I can keep improving :)