14. The House

It was late when we all started to head back to our respective homes. Alice's parents had trusted Alice, Joseph and me to bring everything back home on the bus since they wanted to head back earlier, but I supposed it would just be Alice and me taking everything back. Ellie and Sam left together, Sam throwing us a wink over his shoulder. I couldn't get Joseph off my mind even though I was having fun with Harry. I just kept thinking that if it was only Joseph who'd gone, I wouldn't be worrying so much. But Millie had gone too, and I couldn't stop imagining the reasons why. But I also knew that I should not be caring this much. Joseph was my best friend's older brother, and I couldn't – I shouldn't – see him in that way. And I didn't.

When we got to the bus stop, Alice and I parted with the others. Just before they left, Harry took me aside while Alice said goodbye to his friends and Ryan.

"Ana, I had a lot of fun tonight." He tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. "But I was thinking we could do something some time, just us two?"

My lips parted in surprise, and I thought for a moment. What did I have to lose? "Yeah, that would be nice."

Harry smiled. "Great. I'll message you." And without warning, he leaned down and pressed his lips lightly against mine, just for a second. I stood there, shocked. He winked at me before turning and gathering his friends, wandering off and laughing with each other.

"Ana!" Alice practically shouted right in my ear. "Did I just see Harry kiss you?"

"I think so," I said, staring thoughtfully after Harry.

"And?"

I glanced at her. "And what?"

"And, I thought you didn't like him?" She raised her eyebrow at me.

I didn't answer for a second, frowning to myself while I tried to work out my conflicted feelings. "You know, I thought so too. I'm... I'm a little confused."

"Why?" She slapped me lightly on the shoulder. "What's not to like about him? He's attractive, nice, and he's a lot of fun. I'd date him."

"Good to know."

Alice linked her arm with mine. "Come on, let's go home. I'm still a little tipsy and I'm craving ice cream and cookies."

We hopped on the next bus home, and when we got back, it looked like Alice's parents had gone to bed, and Joseph was nowhere to be seen. I wanted to ask Alice where she thought her brother might be, but I also didn't want to seem like I cared that much. So I kept my thoughts to myself as Alice collapsed on the sofa while I got some food out of the fridge and handed it to her. Feeling uncomfortable in my beachwear, I said to Alice, "I'm going to run upstairs and change. Be back in one sec."

"Okay, but be quick because I might eat all the food," she sang, and I shook my head at her.

Once upstairs, I glanced down towards Joseph door and also noticed that the bathroom door was closed. Maybe he just came home by himself and went to bed, and maybe it was a coincidence that Millie also left. But then the bathroom door opened, and Millie stepped out, wearing a man's shirt and apparently nothing else.

So it wasn't a coincidence after all.

I froze in place, my heart sinking. They had come back together. And from the looks of things, they'd slept together. Millie suddenly noticed me, and she smiled. It wasn't a friendly smile.

"Oh, hey Ana." Her voice was breezy and casual. "Hope you don't mind me staying over tonight. Wait, this isn't actually your house, so I don't really need your permission." She winked slyly at me. "Don't mind me."