Part 13

With his legs crossed at his ankles, Lindsey sat in bed, resting against the headboard with a book in his hands. He'd had it opened for about an hour now, but he only managed to read a couple of pages. He couldn't get Stevie out of his head. He knew she was having a tough time and he felt partly responsible. She had asked him to stay away, but he couldn't. Lindsey was selfish and the chaos in Stevie's life was his fault.

The bedroom door opened, but Lindsey didn't pay any attention to his wife. He didn't notice her new, red, silk nightgown, he couldn't smell her body lotion, he didn't realize that her hair looked different than it would usually before bed. Katherine didn't say anything. Her teeth gritted, she approached the bed and got in. 

"Why don't you put that book away?" Katherine asked, getting closer to Lindsey.

He frowned, giving her a look. "Why?"

"Well..." She smiled, taking his read from his hand, she put it away. "I've missed you." She lay her hand on his bare chest, reaching up to kiss him, but Lindsey didn't respond.

Katherine never wanted to have sex, never. Lindsey instantly assumed that she had to be up to something. Did she want to have another baby? Lindsey loved his children, but he wasn't sure if it was the right time to have a child.

There were occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries, when a few minutes of missionary would happen, but Lindsey couldn't remember the last time Katherine initiated something or was interested in foreplay.

Pecking Lindsey on the lips a couple of times more, Katherine straddled him and slid the straps of her nightgown down her arms. She tried to seduce him to the best of her abilities, but it wasn't easy, when she wasn't truly into it herself.

"I..." Lindsey sighed, shaking his head. He gripped Katherine's waist and lifted her off himself. "I'm not really in the mood."

"Well, of course you're not!" Katherine crossed her arms over her chest. "Because I'm not her. I'm sure Stevie kept you entertained while I was away!"

"Can we not get into all that again?" Lindsey's heart started beating faster, because for once, Katherine's accusation was true. "I told you-"

"Amelia told me, she saw you two kissing." She was too calm. She was just too calm saying that. "She might be five years old, but I believe it. God knows, I've had my suspicions for a long time."

Lindsey tried to laugh it off. "Come on, Kat. Amelia is just a little kid. You know that she has a wild imagination."

"And yet, that's a very particular thing to imagine, don't you think?" Katherine raised an eyebrow. "You can't even look at me, because you feel guilty."

"No, I'm just tired of having the same conversation over and over again."

"Then what happened?" Katherine snatched the book from Lindsey's hand, which he had taken again. "Clearly, Amelia saw you and her doing something."

"I-I hugged Stevie." Lindsey shrugged. "That's all. I asked her if she was feeling better and I was just being nice, I gave her a hug."

"Right. I don't believe you." Katherine shook her head. "You've been drooling for a long time now, Lindsey. I didn't like it, but I was okay with you having your little fantasy of fucking the maid, but when you're actually doing it?"

"Stevie is not our maid. She's here to help us keep it all together, because my God, you can't do shit." Lindsey didn't like Katherine badmouthing Stevie, but now that she had told him, she knew what was going on even if she was just bluffing, the only thing Lindsey could think of doing was get angry.

"You're an idiot if you think, I'll sit quietly, while you-"

"Nothing is going on!" Lindsey insisted. "Jesus, Kat, drop it already." He sighed, getting out of bed. 

"Why are you running away from me? You can't face me, look me in the eye, because it's all true and I know it." Again, she was too calm. Katherine had to be keeping something away from him.

Lindsey grabbed his pillow. "I'll sleep on the couch."

"I've found a replacement." 

He stopped, turning around. The smile on Katherine's face made Lindsey a little sick. "What are you talking about?"

"She's an old lady. A short, fat, little old lady. I doubt we'll be having any more troubles." Katherine replied, fluffing her own pillow.

"You can't do that. What about Stevie? She needs the money. You can't just fire her!"

"I've warned you, Lindsey. I've promised you that she'll be out of here if you so much as look at her the wrong way." Katherine shrugged. "Gertrude starts on the 1st of next month. Unfortunately." 

Lindsey just stood, staring at his wife, his jaw clenched. There was a lot he wanted to say to her, but he kept his cool. If he had started yelling and calling Katherine names, there would be no way for Stevie to stay. Right now, Lindsey thought, he may still had a chance to keep her.