xiii. VULNERABILITY

CHAPTER THIRTEEN!( VULNERABILITY

CHAPTER THIRTEEN!
( VULNERABILITY. )

   YOU DECIDED TO stop at the dock that hung over the river. You just prayed that none of Welton's employees were looking out their windows this late at night. You let yourself cry, taking comfort in the fact that nobody was around to see except the moon. You laid down on your back and stared at the dark sky. After a few moments, your peaceful solitude was broken by the sound of quick footsteps. You turned your head to see Violet's concerned face. You breathed a sigh of relief. You didn't want it to be Charlie, but at the same time, you wished it were him. You wished that he would've at least tried to show you he cared. Did he care? Was this all just a fun little joke to him?

"Hey," Violet said softly. She sat down on the dock beside you and dangled her feet over the edge.

"Hi."

"He wanted to come, but I didn't let him," she explained. "I just thought maybe you'd want to talk to someone else right now, but if you want to talk to him I'll go get him."

"No. I don't want to, at least not now," you sighed. She sat in silence with you for a while before wrapping her arm around you and resting your head on her shoulder.

"I don't think he meant for it to go this way, I think he just didn't think things through. You were right when you said he was a flirt, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about you. What he did was just idiotic and I think if he knew how it would make you feel, he would've never even said hi to those two fools," she comforted. "Y'know, I'm not a violent person, but if you wanted me to punch him in the face I would gladly do so," she added. You chuckled dryly.

"I think I'd rather do it myself."

"At least let me watch," she smiled. Violet gently removed her arm from your shoulders and subtly turned your head to look behind you. "I think the culprit is behind that tree," she whispered, pointing to a large oak that stood beside the dock. You caught a glimpse of Charlie's brown hair glinting off the moonlight.

"If he wants to apologize he's gonna have come to me himself, I'm not gonna chase after him," you stated. "In fact, I'm going to bed."

"Just wait, I'm coming too," she said, standing up. You smiled at her and grabbed her hand.

"Thank you, I need a friend like you," you smiled. Unwillingly, you let another tear fall from your eye.

"God, I gotta pull myself together," you muttered, wiping it away.

"Hey, it's okay to cry," Violet said gently. You looked up at her and shrugged.