Chapter 1

Love is complicated.

That's what everyone says; that love is messy and confusing. I would certainly know-- my dad left my mom when I was seven, and she hasn't been the same since. But this summer, I can't help but wonder... what's the pull?

I work in an ice cream shop called Scoopies, on the corner of Lakewood and Main. All day long, I watch people coming in and out, and these days, it feels like so many of them are couples. Holding hands, giggling, enjoying each other's company... each one I see makes me wonder. Wonder if maybe there's more to love than broken families and listening to your parents scream at each other for half the night and shattered trust.

I loved my dad, don't get me wrong. He was amazing, and him leaving was one of the most painful times of my life. But maybe... maybe he just wasn't right for my mom. She insists that he changed, that it was true love at some point, but when I see so many people in love, I just can't imagine all those relationships being doomed to fail like my mom says they are.

She says people never stay loyal, that love is an illusion and we all break at some point and that it just isn't worth it. I think maybe she says it more for herself than for me, because I've been craving affection lately more than anything. Being in love doesn't seem so terrible. Having someone to hold your hand and comfort you when you're sad and give you advice doesn't seem so bad... right?

No. I'm not lonely, and our family is happy. It's not that my mom doesn't have time for me. She's just had to work longer hours lately to take care of me and my twin brother, Andrew, especially because we're headed off to college next year.

I just.... I just wish someone had time to love me once in a while.

"Claire," calls Sam from the back, pulling me from my thoughts, "Give me a hand?"

"I'm manning the counter," I say absently.

"There's no one here, Claire! Come help me out!"

"Fine." I duck into the storeroom and help him lift a huge box of plastic spoons onto the shelf.

"Thanks," he pants, wiping his sweaty forehead with the back of his hand and straightening up. Sam's a few years older than me-- he's going into his third year of college this fall-- and he towers over me, not to mention that he's super strong. He has kind green eyes, and the softest looking curly brown hair I've ever seen to boot. I'm jealous of his hair probably four to six days a week; it's not fair that he won the hair lottery when he doesn't even care. My hair is stringy and blonde and boring. Unfortunately, I love him like a brother— I just don't think I could date him, it would be gross. Sigh.

"No problem," I say. "Don't forget to refill the sprinkles when you get a chance, okay?"

"You got it, boss." He grins at me.

"Oh, shut up." I try to swat his arm, but he ducks away just as the doorbell jingles.

"Ah, saved by the bell," he teases. "I thought you were manning the counter?"

I glare at him and stalk back to the front.

"Hi, welcome to Scoopies, what can I... get for you..."

Oh. My. Goodness.

Standing in front of me is the most handsome boy I've ever seen.

Owen James.

Everyone at school has a huge crush on him, but if the rumors are true, he's never really dated any of them, which is unusual for a football player and even more unusual for a guy with that many girls throwing themselves at him.