Chapter 7

When I get home, the house is locked. I have to jingle through my backpack pocket for the keys.

"Hello," I call. "Thanks for leaving the house unlocked." My voice is full of sarcasm.

Andrew laughs. "You're welcome. How was studying?"

"Good." I toss my bag down on the floor and head into the kitchen, rooting through the freezer for some ice cream.

"Hey," says Andrew. He's sitting at the kitchen table, reading. "Where'd you get the shirt? Football? Have you even been to a football game?"

For a moment, my mind freezes. I feel my face beginning to flush. "Um... I bought it at a pep rally," I say, cursing myself for not thinking ahead. I should have known he'd ask. Me and Owen had so much fun it didn't even cross my mind.

"Huh. How come I've never seen you wear it? You were wearing something else when you left, right?"

"Yeah," I say, fumbling for an explanation. "It's too big for me, so I never wear it. We were-- uh-- doing a skit for English, and I was a... cheerleader. I needed something to wear."

"Cool. Tell me how it goes." Andrew returns to his book, and I let out a breath of releif. That was all it took! That wasn't so bad!

I take my bowl up to my room and sit on my bed. Pulling out my phone, I check my texts quick, and then call Sam. It's too late now for me to go see him at Scoopies in person, but I'm sure he's still awake. He'll want to hear about this development.

"Yyyyyello!" he says cheerfully when he picks up.

"Hey, Sam."

"What's up, kid?"

"Something happened," I say. I know I should give more preface, but I'm bursting to tell someone.

"As things often tend to do," he teases.

I laugh. "Something... with Owen, I mean."

"Ah! Any news on whether he actually sucks?"

"Yeah. He... doesn't. He's my partner for an English project, and I was just over at his house, and... he was great, actually. He's so nice."

"Huh. So... what's next?"

"He's still my partner," I muse, "So we're not going to stop seeing each other any time soon..."

"Cool," says Sam. "You're just going to play it by ear, then?"

"Yeah. He seems chill."

"Awesome. Tell me what ends up happening."

"You know I will."

"So... how's your mom?"

"Oh, geez," I sigh. "Not good. She's had a headache the past few days. She stayed out drinking Sunday night, and it just seems like her headache never went away."

"Is she... okay?"

"I hope so. I really hope so."

"If you want me to call someone..." he says softly.

"No." My voice is sharp. "She's fine."

"Claire... I'm worried about her. About you. Things are only getting worse, and if you're not careful..."