Chapter 14

· Jace ·

After seeing Katie home, I stop by the shop to check my messages and make a few phone calls. Business is hit or miss, as usual, and after about an hour I lock back up then head back to Merri's place.

My mood has improved since I left this morning and I find myself actually looking forward to seeing her. Doing something productive and talking to Katie and Kyle had gone a long way toward dispelling the uneasiness I'd felt, and now I'm feeling much more objective about the whole situation.

As I pull into the drive and creep closer to the house, I notice something odd in the front yard. What seems to be an unassembled tent and all its parts are lying scattered across the grass.

I pull to a stop behind Merri's car, shut off the engine, then just stare at the mess a long moment, scratching my head. When the front door opens and Merri steps out in a pair of flannel shorts pajamas I laugh a little. I get out, then meet her halfway.

"Planning on roughing it tonight?" I ask, the last tendrils of the awkwardness I'd felt this morning dissipating entirely at her ridiculous attire.

Merri nods her head before dropping it to look down at her feet. I look too, then laugh again when I see the fuzzy slippers she's wearing. Black and white, with floppy ears and a big shiny nose, they are about as misplaced for a camping setting as a gaming console would be.

"New to this, aren't you?" I look back up to her and she laughs then nods her head.

"First time, actually."

"Need any help setting up?"

Her flush is immediate and I try to hide a smile. Yeah, she's certainly new to this and obviously has no idea what in the hell she's doing. Without waiting for her answer, I turn to the gear on the ground then begin expertly snapping poles together. I slide them through the tent loops, all the while very aware of her eyes on me, studying me, absorbing my every move.

I work slowly, giving her time to process what I'm doing. When I finish and the tent is standing proud in all its bright red wonder, I turn back to her and give her an accomplished grin.

"You're very good at that, Jace. Where did you learn?" She meets my eyes, an openly inquisitive look in her own.

"From my foster parents," I reply, feeling awkward myself now. I never really talk much about my childhood to anyone, not even Katie. Of course, there's no need for us to talk about that--we had experienced it together.

"They took you camping?"

I smile, the warmth of many years of memories flooding into my mind. I nod and she returns my smile.

"I'm glad they did that for you." Her voice is small and far away, as if there's something else on her mind, some deep thought that she will no doubt keep to herself.

I decide not to ask. Better to let sleeping dogs lie sometimes.

"I'm guessing your folks never took you?" I ask instead.

"No."

"Well, if you don't mind my asking, why the sudden interest?"

Her flush deepens and as I watch, her eyes take on a brighter sheen. Whatever her motive, it's pretty important. Maybe as important as the tattoo. And then it clicks. Without thinking I ask her something else.