Chapter 3

'You are enough to drive a saint to madness or a king to his knees.'-Grace Willows

I debate Domenico's question.

Do I want to tell this man I barely know what im doing in Italy? He could be a stalker, worse yet a murderer. He's definitely intense enough for it.

He must sense my hesitation, raising a quirked eyebrow at me from across the table.

'Im here travelling around for a while.' I release after a minute or so of our stare down.

He gives a small nod of his head.

'A while... how vague Bella.' he rumbles with a smirk. He knows what I was thinking before but he doesn't call me on it.

'A budding photographer who travels?' he questions with a nod towards my camera still hanging around my neck.

'Oh yes but only as fun' I pull the camera from around my neck and rest it on the table just as the waiter reappears with fresh coffees and pastries for both me and Domenico.

'Grazie' Domenico addresses the waiter and slips him some euro notes from his pocket allowing the waiter to make a swift exit.

'Your english is great. Did you study abroad?' hoping to move the conversation away from myself and learn more about the beast of man beside me.

I bring the cappuccino to my mouth as I await his answer, savouring the smooth coffee as it hits my tongue. Yep I stand firm - Italian coffee is the best!

'Grazie. And no unfortunately I did not study abroad. I attended one of the most prestigious schools in Roma. They like their students to be multi-lingual. Aren't I glad that they did....' he reaches across the table bringing his thumb to swipe a slow path across my top lip. He brings said thumb to his mouth and sucks on it. '...You had some foam right there.'

I sit dumbfounded just staring at him as he pulls his thumb from his mouth and groans 'Deliziosa' Delicious.

Christ.

I think my panties are now drenched.

I bring my napkin to my top lip and mumble my thanks, trying not to notice how he licks his lips like he wants another taste.

Im in big trouble with this guy.

Domenico must sense my wayward thoughts and decides to let me off the hook for now. 'So what do you do for work Carlotta, if not a photographer?'

'Im in marketing. For a consumer brand back in London.'

'How long have you lived in London? Has it always been home?'

'Yes all my life. and Rome for you?'

'I spend time in my holiday homes abroad often but yes my base is Roma. I am... what is it you English call it... Born and bread in Roma?' his warm laugh is like heaven to my ears and my new favourite sound in the world. He seems so intense that him laughing seems like a rare sight that once seen you want to do anything to pull it from him again.

'And what is it you do that allows you to have multiple holiday homes?' I enquire, eyeing him whilst finishing my cappuccino. I'm conscious not to get anymore foam on my top lip, licking it after my sip. Domenico tracks the movement before answering.

'Im a business man. I work many long days so when the opportunity arises for me to relax I like to do it in some of my favourite places around the world' he gives me an easy shrug and brings his black coffee to his lips.