Chapter One

Four months later

I've been staring at the cup of coffee in front of me ever since I sat down. The many customers around me must think I'm in some trance or crazy to not drink the caffeine they're all craving this early in the morning.

Diagonally from me, there's a large window that lets the sun rays reflect on the wooden table and blind me. It also creates the perfect shot, hence why I can't take my eyes off my drink.

I rest my elbows on the table and heave a sigh. Penny's Cafe's door opens with the jingle of the bell, and a few seconds go by before an amused voice makes its way to my ears.

"What's so special about that coffee, girl?"

I raise my eyes and offer Kate a smile. As always, her sense of fashion never ceases to impress me. She's wearing a brown open coat with a salmon pink t-shirt underneath, reminding me of how Central Park looks like at this time of the year. I love spring and how plants grow and flowers bloom, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer summer.

With her black fitted jeans and heeled boots, she looks ready to kick ass. Kate removes her sunglasses, puts them on top of her head, and takes a seat in front of me. I have a feeling she just woke up, but hell, she looks amazing in that outfit.

I return to the contemplation of my coffee, my voice accusative but teasing when I speak up. "You're late."

Kate groans. "I know. I slept through my shitty alarm clock. Thank God my brother called me."

I don't react to that and wrap my hands around my cup, turning my head to look out the window. It's early, but the streets are already busy with people―not that this is surprising.

"Since I'm already running late, I have little time," Kate adds after a moment of silence, crossing one leg over the other and leaning her arms on the table.

I lift my latte in her direction. "You want one?"

She wrinkles her nose in disgust, and that's when I remember she doesn't drink coffee. I don't understand how she can survive, but apparently, she does so better than me. At twenty-two, Kate has her life together even when she wakes up late and needs no caffeine in her system to get through the day. Sometimes I wonder if she's human.

"Right. I forgot you're insane," I mutter, hiding my amused smile behind the cup.

She narrows her eyes at me. "Says you. You were staring at that coffee like it's the answer to all your questions."

I lean back in my chair, biting down on my lip in embarrassment. "Yeah...I just have this urge to take pictures of everything." I huff out an amused chuckle and shake my head. "You're right, I looked crazy and probably sound crazy right now."

Kate rests her cheek against her fist and frowns. "Take pictures with your phone, then."

I sigh. "It's not really the same thing."

She hums quietly, nodding, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't understand my reasoning. Sometimes I don't, either.

"Speaking of photos, how is it going?" she asks, playing with the end of her brown hair. If I had the patience to take care of long curls like hers, I would, but ever since I cut my hair to shoulder length at sixteen, I never turned back. I can't support having as much of it as Kate.

Her hair is turning lighter with each day passing by, the blonde highlights more apparent. Meanwhile, my black hair needs some care...or colors. It feels plain, which is strange because it never bothered me before.

Maybe not so strange. A lot is different since the day I came back to New York. Alive.

Kate's eyes remain on me, waiting. That's what I like about her. She truly cares and listens to me, even when she shouldn't be here right now but heading to work.