Chapter 2

"Done," I sigh, flopping down on the bed.

I didn't realize how little we had until Lacy and I packed it all in five boxes and four suitcases. It took less than an hour to talk to the woman about the apartment, and an hour to pack all our things.

The hour-long drive to Redwater, Tennessee, our new home, was full of open road and a tree line view. The ride was odd since I didn't have the kids with me. They rode with Lacy, since I don't have a car, and kids their age can't ride motorcycles. I'd never really had to drive them anywhere. When I did, Lacy let me borrow her car or drove us, but since I was always at work during the day, we went nowhere that required a car. If we went out to eat, Lacy would bring the kids to the diner to eat.

"It looks great," Lacy tells me, sitting next to me on my new bed. They furnish the apartment, thank god, and it's a two-bedroom and two-bathroom apartment with a small living room and medium kitchen. I'm thrilled with our new arrangements.

"It does," I whisper. I feel at home here. It feels right.

"Mommy!"

"Mama!"

Reece and Rosaleigh run up and climb onto the bed next to me.

"I love my room!" Rosaleigh screeches, bouncing. Her excitement seems to set Reece off as he nods his head and bounces too. I smile and scoop them both up into my arms, hugging them tightly. They wiggle out of my arms, roll off the bed, and take off running out of my room.

Our last apartment never felt like a real home; it was more a place we had to live and not somewhere I could make myself comfortable. This place feels safe and cozy. Maybe it's because of the furniture- which we didn't have much of in the last apartment- but whatever it is, I like it.

Stretching, I stand and yawn. "Come on," I say to Lacy, motioning for her to follow. She smiles again and follows me through the hall, past the living room, and to the kitchen. I grab two mugs and walk over to the Keurig that is part of the included furniture. I make quick work of two cups of coffee.

"Thanks," Lacy says as I slide her mug over to her. I nod and add sugar and cream to my cup.

"My brother messaged and told me he'll no' be here for a day or two, but he told me to get you settled and started at the bar," Lacy speaks after taking a sip of her coffee. I nod and guess that he's not too worried about me beginning while he's not here. "He also said that he'll leave you some instructions in the drawer by the register in case you cannae remember something from when you worked at a bar last."

Nodding, I sip my drink. First things first, I need to get something to eat for dinner. I'd rather not go shopping so I grab the phone and order a half cheese, half pepperoni and sausage pizza. After hearing the message, "Your delivery will be there in approximately forty-five minutes," I hang up.

Laughs and giggles from the twin's room float down the hallway, making me smile. I love that sound. I could listen to Reece and Rosaleigh play all day. Sometimes it bothers me that they don't get to play with other kids as much as I'd like, but then I see them so happy to play with each other and the sadness fades.

"Anythin' you'd like to know about your new job?" Lacy questions, leaning on the counter.

I ask the first thing that comes to mind. "What are the hours?"

Smiling like a Cheshire cat, Lacy launches into an explanation. "Well, you won't have to go in till noon, because they open at one. My brother dinnae want anyone there before that because it makes people think they can or should drink early in the day," she tells me. I nod. Smart man.