Rival

~You're the first face that I see and the last thing I think about. You're the reason that I'm alive, you're what I can't live without. You never give up when I'm falling apart, your arms are always open wide. And you're quick to forgive when I make a mistake, you love me in the blink of an eye.~ Plumb.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Don't Deserve You' by Plumb.

••

Rainey

During the small argument between Ansel and I, his brothers had congregated at the window, eavesdropping and watching the scene as if it were an interesting movie. When Ansel threw me over his shoulder and began moving in the direction of the porch, they all scattered to the couch to pretend as if they were watching Supernatural the whole time.

They all have bright faces of amusement as Ansel passes by them, my short figure perched on his shoulder as if I am nothing but a light ragdoll.

"Look at that." Alex grins, splaying his arm over the sofa. "You guys thought I fucked up, but I brought them closer. You two 'look-alike' assholes will never see a brother fall. Thank you very much." He snatches the last of Arden's ice-cream, frowning when he sees just a small glob of cream in the corner. "You ate the whole bowl, you greedy motherfucker."

Arden salivates his lips, reaching for the remote. "You didn't say you want some now, did you?"

Alex deadpans him and he smirks tauntingly, licking his fingers. "It was lovely."

A barefoot collides with his neck instantly and Arden's head plunges back from the impact as he gropes the area in awe. "Ow! What the hell, are you a fucking Martian?"

Somehow Alex managed to have kicked his brother in the neck, a victorious grin playing on his lips while Aiden doubles over in laughter.

"Are you a ballerina, Alex? How on earth did your foot even—"

"He's an alien, that's what he is." Arden rubs his neck while Alex laughs victoriously, jerking a middle finger to his brother before walking to the kitchen.

"I'm sure you know where to put that!" Arden retorts, massaging his throat with a grimace. "Damn. He kicks like a motherfucker."

••

"Don't leave, I'm going to get you some tea downstairs, alright?" Ansel wraps a towel around me, and I nod my head, shifting my eyes to Lea who is watching us with an unreadable expression.

"Ensure she doesn't leave," he says to her, and she nods, smiling a little. I catch a hint of sadness in her eyes as Ansel quickly leaves the room to get me something warm to drink.

Now that I am left alone with her, the atmosphere has become dense and I stare at my feet to avoid exchanging eye-contact with her.

I hear a soft clear throat as she attempts to start a conversation.

"I have to say, you must truly love Ansel."

I raise my head to look at her. She is wearing a grey knitted sweater and a jean skirt, her legs folded as she is now sitting on the chair Ansel was priorly on.

"I mean you ran all the way here in your bed-wear. That's cute." She titters a little and I drop my gaze to my shorts that are still wet and clinging to my legs. Pulling it down, I don't bother to suppress a slight eye roll.

I am not sure if her words are genuine, but I honestly could not care less. If she is attempting to be friends with me, it will not happen. I do not like her being around Ansel.

Actually no, I do not like her, period.

"Look...I know it may seem a little...weird, but it isn't. Ansel didn't invite me here; I came over on my own and barged my way in here."