41. Don't ignore me!

Williams brought us back to our room and began to explain the rules to us. Breakfast is from eight to ten. Lunch is served from twelve to two o'clock, then dinner from four to six o'clock. But if we get hungry, they've got an open snack bar from 8 a.m. to midnight.

The facility includes a cafeteria, a library, a lounge with a TV, and various activities. Harry is looking forward to seeing that. In addition, there are a fitness room and a swimming pool at the very bottom of the property.

"So, what about the rest of it?" Harlow asks Lara, who is sitting against the wall with her arms folded over her chest. I guess it's going to be her trademark look for now.

"The rest is classified," Williams grins as though she had won a fight. I don't know what's going on with the two of them, but I do know it is stupid.

"Breakfast is half an hour away," Lara notes, and we all smile as she exits the room. I'm trying to make my way to Harlow.

"What's up with you?" I ask, and she steps away from me to focus out the window.

"Harlow?" I grab her arm to pull her towards me.

"What?" She stares coldly at me.

"What's up with your behaviour?" I ask somewhat louder than I intend to.

"I think that is our cue to leave," I hear Mary whisper behind me, but I don't care. Harlow's poor attitude is not acceptable. Harlow shrugs and switches back to the window to avoid me again, which essentially puts wood on the flames.

"Don't ignore me!" I yell as I pull her back by the shoulder.

"I'm not leaving my daughter alone with her," My father explains to Mary.

"I don't think you should worry about River's safety," Mary says and I turn around quickly to glare at her.

"Point taken," She says, leading her son and Arthur out of the room. Not long after, my parents leave and shut the door behind them.

"I know you don't feel well, Harlow, but that doesn't mean you can mistreat anyone, especially those that can save your life," I tell her as I look deeply into her black eyes. I mean every word that comes out of my mouth.

"I don't care," She responds quietly.

"You don't care what?" I demand angrily.

"They're not going to be able to help me. The resources the government has, I very much doubt Landon have what I need,"

"Maybe they do. Try to have some confidence," She just beams at me with a sarcastic grin on her face.

"I have weeks left, River. Please let it go," She sighs as she rubs her forehead and I can see the black spots under her eyes.

"Did you sleep last night?" I ask, but she doesn't respond.

"When was the last time you had any sleep," I pressure her for an answer.

"I don't know," I don't believe her.

"Harlow?" I call her name out of annoyance.

"Maybe two days ago," She scoffs. I sigh with my hand across my face and take a deep breath to cool down my nerves.

"You need to rest after breakfast," I state.

"You can't tell me what to do," She responds, and I hold my hands into fists.

"Are you making me mad on purpose?"

"Why can't you understand that we're all trying to help you?" I screamed. "That we care for you and want you to get well." I can feel my whole body trembling with intense frustration.

"Because it's not going to happen!" She yells at me, making me feel smaller than I am.

"It will," I argue, even though I truly don't know. I need her to believe that because that's what she needs. It's what we both need.

"River, I should have put a bullet in my own head months ago. I'm not going to get any better. I'm just going to get worse," She makes me step back. I swallow her words hard as I feel them sink in.

"If that's what you want, then fine," I give in and turn around, feeling the tears pressing out of my eyes. Her words are like a stab in the back. I didn't expect her to say anything like that.