Starstruck {A Harry Styles Fanfic}

Starstruck

Chapter 1:

As I stand backstage at the Starstruck dance competition, my stomach fills with the butterflies that I’ve long since grown used to. I’ve been dancing since I was 2 years old, and I’ve been competing since I was 8. It’s always been the one place I could just let go and that I actually felt… pretty. I’m kind of a “plain Jane” I guess you could say. I have very pale skin, but not in the pretty, almost translucent way. I just look like a girl who tries to get a tan and fails miserably. My hair is just wavy. Not quite curly, not quite straight. Just… plain, strawberry blonde hair. I have a sprinkle of freckles across my nose and one particularly annoying little freckle right in the center of my bottom lip. And I’m short. Very short. 5’2 to be exact. So as you can imagine, I’m not the girl to stick out in a crowd. This is why I resort to dance to be my escape and let all my insecurities go. As I prepare to go on stage, I do some final stretches and pull a few turns. I know I’m ready for this; I’ve been training for months. I look at the judges table and see a few familiar faces from previous competitions, but I don’t know any of their names, except for one. She sits in the very middle of all the judges smiling as her boyfriend whispers into her ear from his seat behind the judges. It’s Danielle Peazer, and as you can guess, her boyfriend is none other than Liam Payne from One Direction. They’ve been dating for 5 years now, so it’s not an unusual sight to see him at competitions. I can see a wedding ring glistening on her left hand in the fluorescent lights of the auditorium. They got married about two months ago, so the excitement of a member of one direction being officially off the market is kind of wearing off by now. Danielle is an absolutely beautiful dancer, but I’ve never actually gotten to meet her.

Chapter 2:

By now, it’s my turn to step on stage. I stand under the scorching stage lights greeted by applause from my friends I’ve met over the years at all the competitions. As the music starts I let it take me away from everything. All my insecurities, away from thoughts of my parents’ divorce a couple years back, away from the fight between my brothers that tore the one functional part of my family apart, and away from every bad thing in the world. It’s all replaced by the sound of the music and the feeling of my limbs moving to the familiar pattern of the dance I’ve been working on for months now. As I finish the final move, I know I’ve nailed it. Massive applause erupts from the audience and, I couldn’t believe it, Danielle Peazer stood up from her seat, clapping and smiling like crazy at me. This had to be the proudest moment of my career, and this dance would also change another big part of my life.

Harry POV: The second she stepped on stage, I couldn’t keep my eyes off of her. I don’t usually come to these things with Liam even though he’s constantly begging me and the boys so he doesn’t have to face it alone. I scrambled for my program so I could see her name, but of course I had lost it. I tap Liam on his shoulder and whisper, “hey mate, did you happen to grab a program? I wanna know this girl’s name,” “Oooh, Styles, ya got a bit of a crush, I see?” He responds with a wink. I give him a bit of a glare, and he says “sorry, I lost mine before this even started, you’ll hear it during the awards though, she’s the last dancer of the night!” This brings me some relief. As I watch her move gracefully across the stage, I can’t keep my eyes off of her. When she finishes, the camera that projects on the big screens on either side of the stage, zooms in on her face. She is absolutely stunning. From her long, reddish hair, to the small freckle that is barely dark enough to notice, I immediately decide that I have to meet this girl.

Chapter 3:

My POV:  I was the last competitor, so after that, all the other dancers flood on stage ready for the awards. Danielle is the one giving out the awards. The next half an hour had to be the longest of my life, and finally they got to my category. They call off third and second place. Me and my biggest competitor since about 6th grade, Marion Parsons, stand next to each other waiting for first runner up to be called so they can crown the winner. After an unnecessarily long pause, Danielle looks at me and Marion and says “and finally, first runner up goes to… Marion Parsons!” All I can do is stand there, jaw dropped and I begin to cry out of pure joy as Danielle continues with, “and our first place winner of the title goes to Annabelle Grace!” I walk up to the front of the stage as Danielle places a crown on my head and a sash around my left shoulder and pinned at my right hip. Danielle gives me a warm hug and whispers in my ear, “I’d like to speak with you after all of this, meet me and Liam at the front of the convention center on the right side when you’re done with everything.” I pull back in absolute awe and all I can do is stare and nod my head with a goofy smile on my face.