Chapter 72

Can anybody ever feel numb with silent rage? If so, that is probably the only way to describe how I stand in a paralyzed daze while the nurses rush around Cassandra's bed and Stela screams blasphemy.

I would have been shocked at her over the top reaction if I wasn't so focused on Cassandra's pale face and her bare hand, held out for me to take. When the room clears slightly I walk forward and interlace my fingers with hers for the last time.

They have already gone cold and the absence of her warmth further reinforces what I'd lost tonight.

Stela finally quietens and sits down on her chair, sniffling every once in awhile. I see Commander Drako rush in after awhile and he hugs her while she cries into his chest. He casts me a sympathetic look and lets me know that Lucian is on the way as well.

I barely nod my head, looking at him through glazed eyes. The only thing that really catches my attention is the laser gun attached to his hip, the one every officer carries around with them. His holster is loose and the gun stumbles around in it's compartment with the slightest movement.

The nurses come back and urge me to release her so that they can prepare her body for a funeral and then biodegradation. I look around and am slightly surprised that her 'precious' Commander Physus didn't even come to see her.

My fingers around her hand tighten and I ignore the nurses around me as they grow impatient with me.

I feel a firm hand wrap around my wrist and look up into the pale blue eyes that belong to Commander Drako. My eyes flit to Stela and I see that she is lying on her chair with her eyes closed.

"You need to let them prepare her for a proper funeral. Interfering won't change what has happened," There is a sincerity in his voice and the look on his face is earnest.

"Her commander hasn't arrived yet," I say in a soft voice.

His face twists in a mixture of embarrassment and pity when he replies. "If he wanted to come, he would be here already."

Those words bury themselves deep into my bones, further reinforcing my suspicions on the ship - that Lazarus had been behind the whole thing.

He tugs on my wrist slightly, making me release her hand and then he pulls me back to allow the nurses to unplug the machines from her body. I can't look at her anymore, I look at the floor and a soft cry escapes my lips.

Commander Drako stares at me worriedly and I cannot think of a better moment to wrap my arms around him in a hug. I cast a wary glance at Stela but it appears she has passed out on her chair.

The stunned Commander comforts me awkwardly before I release him. I thank him for his help and then leave the intensive care unit and the medical facility.

With his gun now in my holster.

"Mistress Aria, Master Lucian has been trying to get in touch with you," Phillius says the moment I get into the glider. "He says he is on the way."

"I just spoke to him. He has urgent matters to discuss with the Trinity. I am to meet him at PG Lazarus's house," I wave my hand at him dismissively and Phillius stares at me through the mirror in confusion.

"You don't believe me?" My tone is accusing and it is the first time I have ever spoken to him like this. He quickly shakes his head and takes off in the direction to Lazarus's house.

Our glider bears the Trinity symbol so we are able to pass through his security easily and I am greeted by his attendant once I walk up the steps to his house.

"Mistress Aria, Master Lazarus was not expecting you here," He looks down at me with pursed lips.

"I know. Tell him I've come to tell him something he wants to hear," I say and he cocks his head to the side in silence. He must be listening to the earpiece in his ear because he immediately tells me Lazarus's answer.