28 / Promises

The old man was very chatty and fun making them laugh from time to time. Maybe he wasnt that old, probably around in his 40s or so but has wrinkles from all the hard work that Hyejoo cant help but admire.

She also saw the logo on the truck slightly but she was not sure and wanted to talk about it but the man was telling them a funny story from time to time that she forgot about it on the way.

"...and so, my daughter thought it was a snail and let it roam around her face. Later after that day, her face was filled with pimples and shout so loudly that it almost broke my eardrum. Turns out it wasnt a snail but a worm..."

"Noooo!"

"Oh my god! Thats gross"

"Hahaha..."

It was fun and all until the man brought up something else.

"Actually, I'm surprised how did you guys managed to survive"

They look at each other strangely because they havent told him about them or where they came from yet.

"That was a dangerous road. Rumors have it that travellers dissapear from time to time, only their vehicles are left with many scratches. Sometimes blood left behind like a monster was taking them away", he shiver at his own story and bit the inside of his lips.

They realized he was probably talking about the beast living in the forest and that it must have sometimes came out in the road and kill the passerby. When they thought about it, they figure they were actually very lucky like the man had said.

"Ahjussi, if it wasnt safe for people to travel on that road, why did you came alone?"

Wooyoung held Hyejoo's hand and shook his head lightly, afraid that they might trigger the man.

"Ah...my wife. She is deadly ill and I needed money. They offer big amount of money if I take this job so I volunteered"

They can see the honesty on his eyes and felt deeply bad.

"And I think I will go two more times after this if I wanted to earn all the costs for the hospital bills"

"You dont have to go anymore", Hyejoo slightly interupt him and the man stare at her for a short amount of time before looking at the driveway again.

"You look like someone I've seen before", he blurted out not feeling sure.

"If you bring us home safely, my father will pay you as much as you needed. You wont have to go back on that suicidal road again"

The man laugh thinking she must be joking. She didnt even have a proper dress and worst she look like she was a beggar.

Hyejoo knew he didnt take her seriously but who can she blame when her condition wasnt the best as she claims to be.

"The logo on the truck, which company are you working for?", she ask again after she realized she was supposed to ask him back then.

"Kim Corporation", he simply answered and yawn.

The man didnt have a cell phone or even a walkie talkie which was very dangerous for someone who was travelling alone. But after hearing his family condition, it was clear that he was in no state to even own one.

"We should rest here and continue early in the morning", Wooyoung speak up and they all agree. Fortunately it was far from the border and they feel like it was already safe to spend the night on the road side.

Since they already slept in the afternoon, the three young ones were not actually feeling sleepy so they keep their eyes on the road. They are in the middle of nowhere but fear already left their mind back in the village. They dont want to be afraid anymore.

"When we get back, what will you do?", Hyejoo ask referring to the both of them and since she and Wooyoung talked about it many times, she was anticipating for the little boy's answer more.

"I want to go to school and get a fine job. Then get back to the village someday to develop the place and their mind", his mind set was already too good for a 14 years old boy and Hyejoo nod.

"But to be honest, I dont know why am I following you guys. I mean, I have no place to stay or someone I know. How will I continue living?", he hug his knee and look down.

Hyejoo rub his back and smile at him.

"Do you think I'll let that happen? I didnt bring you along for you to suffer again. I'll support all of your school fees and living so dont worry"

Wooyoung watches the two and his eyes soften. The girl he used to hate so much before. The girl that he thought was proud and only think of herself was the same girl he is witnessing right now.

His heart was beating so fast at the thought of Hyejoo taking care of him like she did to Yechan. Maybe he was jealous again, or maybe he just wanted her attention.

But the only think he is sure of is that he is so damn in love with the girl.