𝟮𝟳. wild bear

ooo.┊ # WILD BEAR ✧˖*°࿐
-ˋ 🤍 𝒐𝒓𝒑𝒉𝒊𝒄 — 𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗍𝗐𝖾𝗇𝗍𝗒-𝗌𝖾𝗏𝖾𝗇
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"THEY'RE SO STILL." Lucy spoke up looking at the trees. Peter was rowing them through the river, switching with Alastair once in a while. Trumpkin looked over at her. "They're trees. What'd you expect?" He remarked.

        Edmund looked over at him before looking down to Anastasia who was back to a blank face and either staring around them or staring at the bottom of the boat.

        "Wasn't long after you left that the telmarines invaded." He started. "Those who survived retreated to the woods. And the trees, they retreated so deep into themselves that they haven't been heard of since." Hearing this made Alastair's heart hurt as he was meant to be the protector of the Narnians, and he failed.

        "I don't understand. How could Aslan have let this happen?" Lucy wondered. "Aslan? I thought he abandoned us when you lot did." Trumpkin said. "We didn't mean to leave, you know." Peter spoke up. "Makes no difference now, does it?" Trumpkin asked. "Yes it will. Just get us to the Narnians and we can make this right." Alastair spoke up

        Trumpkin knew of the stories about the Phoenix and the Protector. How they were some of Narnias greatest fighters and biggest threats towards whoever thought about invading. How they both had troubled pasts together, but eventually overcame that for the greater good of Narnia. It was surprising, but he had the smallest shred of hope at seeing the Beauregard's.

        Anastasia let out a displeasured noise catching everyone's attention. "What is it?" Edmund asked looking around thinking she saw something. "Nothing." "Then why did you make that noise?" Peter asked her. "What are you going on about? I didn't make any noise." She scowled before looking away.

        The girl was merely going through her own memories of what life was like here. She was also able to use her powers to tap into some 'memories' of what happened while they were gone, and it wasn't pretty to say the least. So, she blew it off not wanting them to hound her for everything.

        "I don't understand how you're not sweating! It's boiling out here!" Susan changed the subject. "I don't sweat." Anastasia replied. "What do you mean?" Lucy asked. "Everyone sweats." "Not her." Alastair spoke up.

        Everyone looked at the girl confused. "Sweating is gross, so I don't do it." She explained. "What-" Trumpkin went to speak up until Edmund interrupted him. "I've learned not to ask at this point." With that the group sat in silence.

        Edmund gripped Anastasia's hand catching her attention. He lifted it up and placed a small kiss on the back of her hand before leaning over and kissing her cheek.

        Anastasia gave him a small, genuine smile that he returned - glad he was able to make her mood lift. Anastasia was glad for that too. I love you so much. She thought.

        Once they finally got to shore they all hopped out, Edmund carefully helping Anastasia. "Hello, there!" They all looked over and saw Lucy a few feet away from a bear. The bear stood and growled. Uh oh. Alastair thought. "It's alright. We're friends." "Don't move, your Majesty." Trumpkin exclaimed.

        Lucy turned towards him before turning around seeing the bear charging at her. She quickly started running as everyone else went to get their weapons. "Stay away from her!" Susan yelled.

Why isn't she shooting! Anastasia thought getting her own bow and arrow ready. Lucy had tripped on a rock and fell a few feet from the bear. "Shoot! Susan, shoot!" Edmund yelled.

        Just as the bear stood an arrow was quickly shot at its head. Right after another arrow landed at its heart. Turning everyone saw Trumpkin and Anastasia with their bows empty. "Why wouldn't he stop?" Susan wondered. "He was wild." "I suspect it was hungry." the two replies came from Alastair and Trumpkin.

        Everyone quickly ran over to Lucy helping her up. "Thanks." Lucy told Trumpkin and Anastasia. "Why was he wild?" Edmund asked. "I don't think he could talk at all." Peter observed. "Get treated like a dumb animal long enough, that's what you become. You may find Narnia a more savage place than you remembered." Trumpkin then took out a knife and started cutting the bear.

        Lucy turned her head away into Peters chest. Anastasia doesn't know why, but she tried to force herself to watch no matter how much her heart hurt. Maybe then she could understand how the Narnians felt while they were being attacked and killed without them.

        Edmund watched her hands clench up as she tried to watch before he quickly brought her into his chest. Tears pricked her eyes before she sniffled. Edmund turned to her and kissed her temple.

        "It's alright, darling. Everything will be as it was soon enough. I'll make sure of it."