04

After a week in that smelly forest, (y/n) and Tanjiro appeared before 3 other kids.

The girl at the far left was playing with a butterfly as a blonde kid was muttering under his breath about death. While on (y/n)'s right was Tanjiro and a kid with a scar on his face with scary thin eyes. "There was 30 of us, what happened to us." She whispered. Not even the kid that Tanjiro saves was here. "Welcome everyone." The sun rose as the two small white haired girls appeared before them with a table behind them.

"Congratulation for making it out the Final Selection. Now, for this challenge, you will chose the ore for what you swords will be made out of." They said. "Make it?! Don't you guys just hand them out?!" The guy at the far right yelled out. "Actually, you do choose the sword in a way but these are called color changing swords so that means depending on the wielder once the sword is made it will determine the color." (Y/n) corrected the man as she read about these in her father's journal. "Shut up! Give me a sword already! That why we became demon slayers!" He reaches for the girl's hair until (y/n) covered for the girl as Tanjiro grabbed his wrist, almost snapping it.
"Tanjiro, don't break him!" (Y/n) whispered. He let go as they displayed the ores before them.

(Y/n) stared at the metal in awe. "They're beautiful as they are right now." She said in awe which Tanjiro looked at her. "This one, seems like a fine metal." (Y/n) stared at the rock in her hand. "I'll choose this." The guy beside her that she educated chose the ore right beside hers.

(Y/n) yawned, making her way back to her shed. Her sleepy eyes met a boy crying and running to her. "Yohei? What happened? Why are you crying?!" She asked the boy. "I thought you were gone forever!" He sobbed. "No Yohei. I could never leave you behind. I'll defend you at all times." She grinned, carrying the boy inside the house where the wisteria flowers were still alive. "Did you water them while I was away?" She asked as she noticed they were freshly watered. "Oh, I forgot to."

(Y/n)'s eyes widened. "You didn't water them?" She asked calmly. "I'm sorry, (y/n)." The boy muttered. She noticed the fire dying from afar, the pot letting out small bits of steam. "You're making dinner already?" She asked, setting him down and closed the shed door and turned the lantern on. She stared at the lateen oddly. 'This candle is new. It's not used. Did he not set the candle on while he was asleep? He's scared to sleep in the dark.' She pondered as she stepped back and lightly gasped to noticed a small pile of candles that were all used up. 'He found a way to replace the candles?' "(Y/n)-Chan! (Y/n)-chan! Look, veggie broth!" He giggled. "You learned to make this?" She seems shocked. He shook his head. "Nope! I just woke up! It's magic! Each time I nap, I wake up to find food or when I go out to find more sticks for the fire, there's a fire and food made! It's like I have a guardian angel!" He gave a small grin.

How could she say it to him that there was possibly a stalker near by. She had to stay awake for him. She couldn't sleep again. This was going to be hell. Just when she thought she could finally sleep.

(Y/n) out the dishes away as Yohei came back from the bathroom that was in the smaller shed outside tgat was draped with wisteria flowers everywhere on it. "Wash your hands and start reading a chapter before bed. Just because we're not with mama doesn't mean I'm not going to be responsible over your education." (Y/n) sat by him as she dried her hands. He nodded and yawned. She stared at the book he was reading. "You're on a different book?" She asked. "Yeah, I always find a book on the bed after I use the bathroom on the chapter I left off last night. Now I know how to say proper prayers." Yohei grinned while the older girl frowned.

Late at night, (y/n) sat at the shed door, leaning against it. "I don't know if anyone's out there but, you're creepy but, thank you for watching over him while I was gone. I hope I meet whoever you are." (Y/n) muttered, unaware a boy with spiky hair in a low ponytail standing out her shed door.

(Y/n) gulped, holding Yohei's hand, as the well known Haganezuka. He made his father's sword before and cane by to check if he was going to return it any time soon.

She gasped as he appeared far away. "Oh god. It's actually happening!" She giggled a bit, excited to get herself the freedom she deserved but the defenses her nephew needs.
She greeted Haganezka who seemed surprised to see her here and now down at the county where the rest were. "Miss (l/n)? What are you doing here?!" He gasped dramatically. "I just thought I'd wait for you here instead of down there. Everyone's just so sad." She lied. "Ah yes, I forgot about the news about your brother. It's been 2 years now." He said before handing her the sword. "Let's see what color you have~" he waved his hands with excitement. Yohei stood behind (y/n) as she unsheathes the sword to reveal green. "Ah, a wind breather." He said. "Aren't we all?" She places it back on its holster as she was given her uniform. "Your Kasugai crow will be here any moment to tell you your first mission. I hear this one is very far!" He waved his arms to the other side of a mountain ahead. "Thanks for the heads up, Haganezuka-sama." She bowed and waved at him away as she went back inside and got dressed while Yohei looked the other way.

"What do you think?" She asked, wearing her father's haori on top.

Yohei recognizes the faint blue spider lillies at the hem of the haori with the blue transitioning from a dark night (f/c) to a light pastel faded (f/c) at the bottom. He clapped his hands and grinned. "You look so cool!" He chuckled. She gave a soft grin. "Yohei, you don't have to be scared about being a demon slayer like your dad. I'm here for you now. And I promise I'll protect you." She smiled, bowing to his height. "But... what if I need a place to stay? You can't take me everywhere. What if you get tired?" He asked. "We'll wall together. If your mother carried you for 9 months until now, how can't I?" She patted the boy's head.

"(Y/n) (l/n)! South-south East! Head south-southeast for your mission!" A crow arrived at her widow seal. She gulped. "Yohei, get your shoes. We're heading a long way. We better head now or night comes soon." She said, taking his hand as he nodded.

He waved good bye at the shed they stayed at before he faced upwards to (y/n). "You're gonna miss our small place?" She asked. He nodded as his black hair with (h/c) hue bounced. "But I bet we don't need that. If you can sleep on the jungle floor, so can I!" He pumped his fist in the air. She pat his head. "I didn't sleep in a jungle. I'm not a monkey." She scoffed. "Are you sure you're not?" He asked.

She was struck in the head by his harsh words. "For a kid, you're rude." She grumbled. "Thanks." He gave a wide grin.

On their way to the south mountains, (y/n) held her sword with a fine grip and her guard up, especially with a small kid by her side.