chapter nine

"You have to be kidding me

"You have to be kidding me."

"What?" Christina asked, popping into my room.

"Don't panic." I said.

"Okay?" She said confused.

"I need you to come with me to CVS, before we hit the road." I told her.

"Why would I panic about CVS?" She laughed.

"I'm late." I told her.

"What?" She asked. "How late?"

"Only three days, but I am never late." I said.

"Okay, that's fine." She said. "No need to panic, just taking precautions."

"Yep."

"So stay calm, we'll just grab a test."

"I am calm."

"Just relax, Peyton. Everything will be fine."

"I know that, Chrissy." I laughed.

"So stay clam."

"I am." I said. "Are you?"

"No, I'm kinda panicking a little bit."

"I can see that." I said. "Let's just hit the road, and well just see what happens."

"See what happens? Dude, you have to take a test." Christina said.

"I know that, but I'd rather take one in the comfort of my own home than a sketchy gas station bathroom. I also am not about to ruin Christmas." I explained.

"I hardly think it'd ruin Christmas, P." Christina said.

"Oh yeah, cause my parents would be fine with me being pregnant at 22." I said. "Which I'm not, I'm just late. Let's go."

So we did. We packed up my car and started our drive to Michigan. Christina and I took turns driving and playing music, the deal we had worked out was pretty stellar. Every winter break, Chrissy drives from Boston to Michigan with me and then gets a flight to Colorado, and at the end of break she flies back to me and we drive off again. After a long day in the car, Christina and I barely made it in my front door before passing out on the couch.

"Peyton." I woke up to the voice of my brother standing behind the couch.

"Hey B." I smiled.

"It's almost noon." He laughed.

"Oh shit." I said, grabbing a pillow and throwing it at Christina.

"What?" She whined.

"Your flight is in two hours, and we've gotta do that thing." I said.

"What thing?" Brady asked.

"Oh, shit. The thing." Christina jumped up and ran to the bathroom.

"You're totally planning us a surprise party aren't you." Brady asked.