Sean's Dream

The tall grass swayed outside, and a little ten year old boy sat inside looking out.
"Julie! Come on! I really want to go out and play!" the boy jumped up, looking at a girl who was the spitting image of him, only five years older. They had the same big brown eyes, same blonde hair, same smile as the girl stood and opened the back door.

"Well, if you want it that bad, Sean, then let's go!" Julie sprinted out the door, her long thin jacket billowing behind her in the wind.

As Sean and Julie got closer to the tall grass in their open wilderness backyard, their panting and laughter only got louder and louder.

"Julie! Go hide. I want to come looking for you," Sean pointed into the tall grass.

"Ok, Mr. Bossy pants!" Julie laughed again, and charged into the tall vast jungle of green and brown wheat like grass, and Sean started counting.

"Here I come!"

Sean looked around, seeing a rustle in the grass, and he ran, landing on top of the lump that he found.

"Oh! Sean you're heavier than you used to be," Julie heaved and Sean laughed.

"Again! You find me this time!" Sean shouted, scurrying off.

They played for a while, the sun slowly crawling across the sky, making shadows shift. Making more unruly darkness.

"Come on, kids! Moms got dinner ready," their father yelled from the house

"SEAN WATCH OUT!" Julie suddenly screamed as they were retreating back home, and she pushed Sean away to the ground.

"What?" Sean said from the floor, annoyance in his voice. But his question needed no answer.

A large snake bit Julie on her bare leg once, twice, three, four times. She screamed again, tears already filling her big brown eyes.

"Sean..." Julie fell to the ground, and the snake slithered away when their father fired a gun into the air.

But Sean recognised the long black snake. That was a Black Mamba.

It had long ago earned its title as the deadliest snake in the world. What was it doing in America?

"Julie?" Sean fell to his knees, examining her wound.

"Don't touch it, it hurts," Julie said in between shivers. "Sean, I know what that was."

"I do too," Sean kept on blinking repeatedly, not wanting to cry in front of Julie.

"If I don't see you tomorrow..."

"You'll be fine," Sean interrupted. "If you aren't, who will help me practice? Mom and Dad don't know how to play, and they certainly don't want to learn all of the notes and stuff." Sean wasn't talking about running in the tall grass.

"I will still help you, but from elsewhere," Tears were streaming down both of their cheeks by now, their parents sitting next to them. "I love you all."

"No..." Sean started sobbing as Julie slowly closed her eyes, drifting into unconsciousness, but her chest still heaved up and down.

"She's still alive, just sleeping."

But they all knew that she would be gone in the next hour, never to wake up.

"This is your fault, Sean," Sean's mother said calmly. Too calmly. "If you hadn't let her push you, she would live."

"But I would die in her place."

"How do we know that your freakish ability would help you survive it somehow? This is your fault."

The words started to echo around the sky.

Your fault. Your fault. Your fault.

Tears sprung up in Sean's young eyes as his mother started bawling, holding Julie's limp body to her chest and his father yelling and cursing at him.

"Your fault."

Sixteen year old Sean Willson shot up out of bed, cold, and didn't bother to wipe the tears that came down his cheeks. The hurtful words were still tearing and thrashing in his mind.

Your fault.

He let the tears come, but he was done crying. He had been done crying over his deceased sister since the second year after her passing. He knew that Julie wouldn't want him crying over her after she was gone.

Your fault.

Sean tried to go back to bed, but he couldn't sleep. One short sentence kept coming back to haunt him, no matter how hard he tried to forget.

Your fault.

He lifted his hand, sending an image next to his piano with his mind.

"Come on, Sean. I need you to play for me so that I can see that you've been practicing," the illusion of Julie said, patting the piano bench for Sean to come and sit.

He smiled, walking over and sitting at his piano, taking out multiple papers covered in hand written notes, and played. Forgetting the rest of the world as the music filled his ears, taking the place of the two ugly words.

The song was called Julie.

Soooo. A bit depressing... This is a little part from another story I wrote, on a joined account ( ARStayAndLKWyatt). I wrote this little part, and I'm super proud of it. Ya know, because I was really mean to my son.

Thank you and GOODNIGHT!