ii. isaac bloody newton

✧⁺❀ C h a p t e r t w o . . .

As soon as the doorbell had rung, Jackie had flung herself off the sofa and rushed towards the front door to greet her two boys (mainly Jonny, whose arrival she had awaited with much anticipation). She had to admit that inviting Sophie for Friday night dinner made her feel very much like a matchmaker, sparking romance in two young souls and she decided that she very much enjoyed playing cupid for her sons. As Jackie's hand clasped the cool, steel door handle, she made a mental note to try and set Adam up with Tanya Green. After all, she had heard that she was a very lovely girl... She worked for Coca Cola!

Jackie let out a small squeal and took a deep breath to calm herself down, before pulling the door open. "Jonny Boo!" she cooed.

The door swung wide open, revealing a bewildered-looking Jim on the other side. "Jonny... Boo?" the man queried, his face forming a nervous frown. He leant over to pet Wilson, but instantly jerked away, trembling with the lead almost slipping out of his grasp.

Jackie's lips formed an exhausted smile. "Oh, Jim. I wasn't expecting to see you here. I thought you were the boys. It's an important night, you know?"

"Is it?" Jim pondered for a moment, before exclaiming with glee, "Ah yes, Jackie. Of course! It's National Wilsons Day!" He stepped forward."And so you have invited me into your lovely home for some celebratory crimble crumble."

The woman frowned. "National Wilsons Day? I'm not sure that's a thing, Jim."

"Well, of course it is Jackie. When else would we celebrate all the Wilsons of all the world?" He bent down to stroke his dog once more and as had occured every previous time, he quickly flinched away in terror.

"Erm, never?" a cynical voice came from behind Jim.

Jackie peered behind their neighbour to see her two sons, who had finally arrived. She beamed widely, flinging her arms around her youngest. "Oh, Jonny Boo!" She pressed three quick kisses against his forehead, which he hastily wiped off on his sleeve.

"Hi, Mum," he greeted with a slight chuckle. "How come you're so excited?"

Jackie raised an eyebrow in surprise. "You didn't forget, did you? Sophie's here for Friday night dinner."

Adam's eyebrows furrowed together in thought momentarily, before a wide grin stretched across his face. "Wait... Sophie the pizza girl from last week? She's here?"

Jonny's smile fell instantly. "What? She's here? Why? What? Why is she here?"

Jackie held her hand to her head and pinched her brow. "Stop it with the questions, Jonathan. You're giving me a headache. I asked her if she'd like to come last week and she said yes, so she's here now in the living room with your father."