.14.

My phone buzzed insistently while I was relaxing on the couch and enjoying a piping hot cup of tea and a baking competition show. The sight of Elijah's mom on my caller ID shocked me into spilling some of the scorching liquid on my crotch, which is why I let it go to voicemail.

At least, that's what I told myself while dabbing my sopping lap with a kitchen towel and listening to Julie Wagner's message. 

I thought I wanted to talk to Elijah's mom, but seeing her picture on my phone triggered a borderline panic attack. 

"Isla, honey," Julie's soothing tone immediately pricked my eyes with tears. My heart had lodged itself in my throat and my eyes burned with repressed emotions. "Eli told us that you two broke up and I'm just so very sorry to hear that. Oh, I wish I could just hug you."

I had been putting off processing the loss of our friendship. 

I still wasn't ready, actually.

"We've been taking care of Eli since his accident, but we're headed back home," Julie's message went on. "Sarah and Lucas have class, and Dave can't miss any more time at work. I'm so sorry to ask this of you, Isla honey, but can you check in on Eli for us? I'm so worried about him up in that condo all alone."

I groaned and tossed my phone on the rug without finishing Julie's voicemail. It bounced and skittered while I winced at my careless behavior with my technology. 

Despite his cheating, I knew Elijah was in store for a lot of pain and some rough surgeries, not to mention a lot of physical therapy. 

Yes, he was a liar and a cheater, but I felt bad for leaving him at a time like that, which made me feel bad, for feeling bad.

And regardless of Rebecca's warnings, I was going to have to go back to the condo eventually because all my stuff was still there. 

I grabbed what I could when I fled the night of the accident, but I was low on clothes (thanks to Rebecca's basement monster machines) and I needed my precious collection of books.

Plus, deep down, I wanted to check on Elijah. I wanted to know how he was doing because, like it or not, I still cared about him. 

Gnawing on the inside of my cheek, I bent down and picked up my phone to press the callback button.

"Isla!" Mrs. Wagner's warmth took my breath away. "I'm so glad you called, honey. How are you?"

Her son was just involved in a traumatic car accident, and she wanted to know how his ex-girlfriend was doing. Julie was the kindest, most maternal woman I'd ever met.

For a split second, I was angry that Elijah got to keep her in our breakup, as asinine as that was.

"I'm alright, I suppose," I wasn't able to hide my misery from Julie. "Mostly still in shock, I guess?"

The first time I met her, Mrs. Wagner told me about the adoption saga they went through to bring Lucas into their lives. She fought tooth and nail to save a baby that no one else wanted from child protective services, which told me everything I needed to know about the depths of her love.  

Our breakup felt like I was somehow disappointing her. Like I'd broken an unspoken promise to Julie that I would love and support her son forever.

"We were all in shock," Mrs. Wagner sounded close to crying. 

"Have they sent him home yet?" I cringed at my question.

"Eli was discharged last Friday," she answered. "We got him settled, and Gray will check in on him when he can."