Give Me Pie

THE SMALL RESTAURANT IS QUIET and almost empty with people calmly eating their deserts in hushed conversations

THE SMALL RESTAURANT IS QUIET and almost empty with people calmly eating their deserts in hushed conversations. Me, I'm giddy with excitement as my eyes roam which two pies will be mine. But that's not the only reason for my excitement. It's also because I'm here alone with Owen.

My eyes leave the assortment of pies to the man himself. I watch his sharp defined brows rise as he chats with the cute little cashier. I remember her from his high school. I don't know her, but her name tag says Emily.

The girl's eyes are captivated as he talks and she nods her head energetically, hanging on to his every word. Can't blame her either, Owen's known for his smoothness. He can pretty much carry on a conversation with a girl about a garbage bag and she'd be intoxicated with him.

He continues to chat away and leans those magnificent forearms of his on the counter, flexing as he does.

He's in all out flirting mode.

Why was I excited about this?

Owen looks even more massive as he leans over Emily. His arms are so long that he's able to grab a Styrofoam cup without leaning over at all. My eyes drift back to the pies and I nod my head in approval at my choices. I stomp over and slam my hand on the counter. "Dark chocolate pecan pie and the peach blueberry as well."

"Oh, hey Harp, forgot about you there for a second." Owen gives me an arrogant smile and I scoff at him.

The dainty brunette with shining eyes smiles genuinely at me. "Just two slices?"

I clear my throat, "No, the whole pies."

She gives me a quizzical look. "Okay, for here or to go?"

"Here." Owen winks at her and fishes out his wallet. "And can I get a slice of the key lime please Em?"

My nose scrunches up at the little nickname as I turn to glance out the window at the cars passing by. Her nickname is cute, whereas mine... A high pretty voice pulls my attention back. "I remember you." I turn to Emily and knit my brows together. "You're that girl that would come to Owen's games and scream like crazy at the fence."

"Harp." I chew on my cheek and nod my head at her as she puts our pies on trays. "I'm his best friend's sister."

Owen pats my head and shakes it a little causing me to growl. "And pretty much mine." My heart stings from that but I remain passive. "You used to tutor some of the baseball guys, right?"

Emily grins and takes his card swiping it. "Yeah, surprisingly I never had you."

I chuckle at that, causing Owen to pinch my arm in secret.

Oh, I'm sorry am I ruining your flirting session?

"Hey now, I was smart. Not all jocks are brain dead." Owen retorts charmingly with that suave gruff voice of his.