Law 29: Plan All the Way to the End

Think ahead, plan for obstacles, and leave nothing up to chance. And once you reach your goal, know when to stop.

Application –

In the game of chess, the goal is to capture your opponent's King. So why not send each piece after the King? There would be no strategy and no plan, and your pieces would quickly get taken by counter attacks. The only way to win against a worthy opponent is to plan several steps ahead, by creating diversions and making your opponent make mistakes. You may even lure them to take one of your pieces, as a trap that will lead to your ultimate victory.

Planning holds true for businesses as well. Once a brand becomes popular, others will want to imitate them. So after brands become popular, they still need to have a plan for staying ahead of their competition. And when people want to achieve big goals, such as getting healthy or landing a dream job, there will undoubtedly be obstacles along the way. By anticipating what could happen, you are less likely to be derailed by distractions.

How to "Adult" –

Making Plans

(Before Adulting...)

Friend: "What do you want to do?"

You: "I don't care, what do you want to do?"

Friend: "Whatever."

Result = You and your friend continue to sit on the couch, watching something neither of your care about.

(As an Adult...)

Friend: "What do you want to do?"

You: "Well let's see, there's a block party downtown today. Or we could be low-key and go to the beach, then check out the new pizza place."

Friend: "Beach and pizza sound great, I've been wanting to try that place too."

Result = You and your friend actually make it out of the house.

Saving Money

(Before Adulting...)

You: Ugh, I work so hard, I deserve a vacation.

Friend: I just got paid, let's go out!

You: Me too! I want to go somewhere nice.

Result = You live paycheck to paycheck and never get to go on vacation.

(As an Adult...)

You: Ugh, I work so hard, I deserve a vacation.

Friend: I just got paid, let's go out!

You: I'm saving up for a trip to Paris. Not going out right now.

Result = You get to the top of the Eiffel Tower, and it's a dream come true.