SEOULFUL KISS - Excerpt Only (CHAPTER ONE)

SEOULFUL KISS

by JAX CASSIDY

Copyright © 2012 by Jax Cassidy

All rights reserved.

SEOULFUL KISS is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, organizations, places, and events are either the products of the author’s imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales is entirely coincidental.

*  *  *  *  *  *

CHAPTER ONE

“Let’s give a warm welcome to tonight’s contestant!” The announcer grinned at the cheering crowd. He was a Vegas version of a variety show host, short and plump, and dressed in a loud red suit with a gold bowtie.

Rissa stumbled onto the stage when a co-worker pushed her forward. In her slightly intoxicated state, she still managed to remain composed. However her body wasn’t communicating with her head and the contents of her stomach threatened to make an unwanted appearance. She never liked being the center of attention and this queasiness was exactly why she’d avoided these scenarios.

“So, who is this lovely lady?” He shoved the microphone under Rissa’s nose and all she could do was blink, her eyes trying to adjust to the blinding brightness.

The spotlight held her rooted to the floor as a flush of embarrassment heated her neck and stained her cheeks. How could she be so naïve? Her lips bowed upward at her inability to see past the darkness, to the faces witnessing her moment of humiliation.

Don’t let this phase you. Don’t let them get to you.

She was sick to her stomach but managed to plaster on a bright smile.

AJA! Aja, Rissa! Fighting! Her conscience shouted the affirmation to raise her morale. She straightened her shoulders and lifted her chin. Rissa wasn’t about to crumble in front of her workmates and a room full of strangers. She’d never succumbed before, and she wasn’t about to start now.

A wave of dizziness snuck up on her and made her unbalanced on her feet. She sucked in a deep breath, making an effort to remain steady. The heat from the track lights didn’t help matters either. Besides perspiration beading her forehead, she could certainly feel the aftereffects of one too many glasses of soju. Perhaps she should be grateful that the alcohol gave her the courage to tolerate the scrutiny. A sober Rissa was way too level-headed to wind up in this ridiculous predicament in the first place.

What a fool she was! She should’ve known this was all a setup. When her co-workers had excitedly suggested going out to celebrate her birthday before the holiday break, she should’ve followed her gut and declined. Instead, they’d used her. She didn’t know what stung more—the fact that she believed they’d had good intentions, or discovering what her feelings were worth to them.

Five pounds of Kobe beef, as it turned out, and the soju bar tab settled for the evening.

She scowled. It could be worse, right? She supposed that from a positive perspective, at least she was being compared to an expensive cut of meat. She blew out a quick breath and shook off the anger simmering within.

The announcer pulled the mic back after her lengthy silence. “No need to be shy.” He raised the note card eye-level and read out loud, “It says here, your name is Christmas Park. How festive! We couldn’t have planned it better than this.” The crowd laughed, some howled and whistled.

She cringed at the use of her given name and grabbed the microphone from him. “Rissa. My name is RISSA.”

He yanked the mic back with a scowl. “Um, Miss Christmas Park, your friends mentioned that it’s also your birthday tonight, which makes this contest even more eventful. Maybe this is it. Maybe this year someone will claim the grand prize!”