xxxii. the dumbbell nebula

THE DUMBBELL NEBULA

THE DUMBBELL NEBULA

edited as of January 4th, 2020

Charlotte didn't leave after Amy went to her room, after staying in the console room with the Doctor for a few minutes, she finally yawned when she retired to her bedroom. Putting on her pajamas, she almost immediately fell asleep once her head hit her pillow.

She's at a funeral... At least, she thinks it's a funeral. Charlotte aided a group of people in carrying a casket down the aisle. And as she kept her head forward, in the direction of the priest standing at the front of this church.

Once her group sat the casket down at the table in front of the rows, Charlotte could feel the unnatural sadness again. Yet, even in her dream, she didn't cry when she listens to the priest's opening statement.

Charlotte woke up on her side with a burst of energy before it quickly dissipated. Even in her tired state, she knows well enough that she isn't going to fall asleep again. Rubbing her eyes, Charlotte groggily stood up.

---

The TARDIS corridors were awfully quiet. Despite it being "nighttime" throughout the spaceship, Charlotte finds the hum echoing throughout it to be eerie without the addition of talking. So, of course, she is highly relieved after passing by the control room and seeing the Doctor sitting in the open TARDIS doorway looking out to a magnificent nebula.

With a mix of bright pinks and blues, Charlotte wondered how he could sit in front of the blazing nebula for so long without getting a headache. Mesmerized, she walks forward only to be noticed by the Doctor when she sat down beside him, both of their legs dangling out of the TARDIS.

"I thought you went to bed?" he asked her.

She shrugged. "I woke up."

"Ah." The Doctor looks back up to the nebula, then down back to her, who admired it in silence. "First time here, then?"

"I don't even know where here is."

He opened his arms wide as if he was a tour guide- which he is if you think about it. "Messier 27, M27. Or, just Dumbbell Nebula, if you like."

She gave a small smile. "Yeah, that one fits it the best."

"And..." the Doctor raises his arm, squinting as he points to a speck in the distance. "- there's Earth."

Following his finger, and looking closely, Charlotte was unsuccessful in finding the Earth. Nonetheless, to see such a familiar planet so far away left her open-mouthed. "I've... I've never seen it from far away. Wow..." Charlotte laughed. "This is insane."

"Nothing insane about it."

"That's what makes it insane." She looks from the console to the Doctor, who looks back at her strangely. "Here's you, with a time machine. That's normal, as far as normal goes, but then you bring me to places like...!" Charlotte waved her hands at the nebula, glancing back up at the Earth's general direction. "And, the Earth, it's so small. And it makes sense when you don't think about it, but, when you do, it's insane!"