CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR: AN UNANSWERED PAGE

"No," I screamed, jumping back to my feet and hitting my shoulder against the door.

"Elizabeth," said a voice behind me. I whirled, my emotions running miles per minute, relentless and reckless. "You okay?"

It took me a moment to calm myself, to reclaim that rational part of myself. "Luke, Ian. You're alive."

"Yeah, and bored out of our minds, Lizzi," Ian said. "Where have you been with the rescue mission?"

"I need to get out of here," I said, turning back to the door. "There's got to be a way out."

"Elizabeth," Luke said.

"Maybe the door can be unlocked from the inside or we can pick the lock or we can ram it..."

"Elizabeth."

"Maybe they'll come let us out and we can--"

"Elizabteh," Luke said, nearly yelling. He braced his arms on my shoulder. "Take a breath."

I panted like crazy, unable to catch my breath. "I can't. I can't. I have to help him."

"Elizabeth, look at me." Luke's eyes were cool and steady, locked onto mine. "Please."

I took a few gulping breaths, my mind finally catching up as I started to cry. "I need to help him."

Luke was so patient. "If you tell me what happened, I can help you."

I took a deep breath, but the exhale was shaky. "We did it. Zulu. We cut the wires."

Ian jumped to his feet. "Yes! This is awesome. The base'll be okay."

"No," I said, my tears coming faster. "You don't understand."

"It's okay, El." Luke shot an annoyed glance at Ian. "It's over. You did it."

"Warner," I said. I couldn't catch my breath, the pressure in my chest building. "We need to help him."

"Where's my brother?" Ian asked. "Why does he need help?"

I tried to slow my breaths as Luke put a hand on my back and guided me to a chair. "He got stabbed. I need to help him."

"Stabbed? Is he okay?"

"No, Ian. He is not okay. That is why I need to find him." I was yelling but I didn't care.

"Elizabeth, it's okay. There are other doctors on the base. They can help him," Luke said, trying in vain to reassure me.

"He needs help now," I insisted, getting to my feet and bucking against my handcuffs as I made for the door. "I just need to get these damn things off and then I can help him."

Ian's eyes were wide, his hands reached out to me but remained frozen in the air. Luke took a long deep breath, his gaze drifting to the ceiling before he spoke.

"Stop squirming," he commanded, spinning me so he could get a look at my handcuffs.

"What happened to yours?" I asked, trying to keep as still as possible. I wanted nothing more than for them to be gone so I could use my hands. I needed to be able to use my hands. I had to be able to do something. I felt so powerless.

Ian swung an empty pair of shackles around on his finger. "We got them off."

I wanted to scream. "I can see that. How?"

Luke's voice was soft against my hair. "There are a few ways to get out of handcuffs. Dislocating your thumb, but that hurts and doesn't always work. And of course, picking it." He dangled a safety pin in my face. "We keep them clipped on our uniform where we can get them in cuffs."