» thirteen «

I flushed as Puck helped me out of the water onto dry land, his hands gripping my waist tightly. I didn't realize how cold I was until I was firmly standing on the grass, contemplating between wrapping my arms around myself for warmth or if it would just make me feel colder.

I watched as Puck lifted himself out of the water after me, his muscles flexing underneath his dark t-shirt. I looked away sheepishly when I caught sight of the way it stuck to his abs.

"You cold?" Puck asked, looking towards me. His gaze stayed a moment too long at my chest but he quickly looked away when he saw that I noticed.

I nodded, shivering as I felt a droplet of water race down my spine. "A little."

"I think I have a spare jacket in the car that you can use."

I shook my head. "No, it's okay. I don't need it."

"I'm not buying that," Puck said as he lifted his shirt off, droplets of water glistening on his chest as they raced down.

I flushed and looked away, instead, directing my gaze towards the cliff we jumped off of. "How are we going to get back up there, anyway?" I asked Puck.

"We're going to climb," he replied, attempting to shake the water off his shirt. My head whipped towards him at that I opened my mouth to protest, however, before I could, he started laughing. "I'm just messing with you, Polly. There's a hill behind the clearing of trees - it'll take us right back up there."

My shoulders slumped in relief and I finally caught sight of the marking on Puck's bicep. I frowned as I realized what it was - a tattoo. As I moved closer to further inspect it, Puck quickly whipped on his shirt, not giving me the chance to question it as he placed a warm hand on my back and led me through the clearing of trees and up the hill.

My legs started aching with each step that we took but I didn't complain, biting my lip to keep from whimpering. This is what happens when I have to go for days without food.

Unfortunately for me, Puck noticed, his dark eyes boring into mine, and before I know it, he had me in his arms.

My eyes widen. "What are you doing?" I demand.

"Carrying you," Puck said.

I shook my head. "No. Put me down. I can walk fine on my own."

He scoffed. "Your legs were practically turning red from the effort it took you to walk."

I frowned. "You're going to tire yourself," I argued.

"And you're going to kill yourself," he retorted.

I sighed, wrapping my arms around his neck as I figured it'd be no use to argue with him.

By the time we approached his car, it was already dark and I frowned up at the sky, forcing Puck to put me down. He reached into the backseat of his car and came up with a dark jacket, shoving it at me relentlessly when I refused to wear it.

The jacket practically swallowed my whole form and I sighed when I realized I was losing weight. Even Puck stared at me uneasily for a moment, concern shining in his dark eyes.

"Hey, Puck?" I asked once we were settled into the soft grass, staring up at the sky. He hummed in response. I fidgeted, releasing a deep breath. "I'm sorry for what I said that day...at the club. I don't hate you. I never did."

Puck turns to look at me, his face contorted into one of anguish. "It's okay, Polly. I deserved it." I open my mouth to protest, but he beats me to it. "Don't deny it. We both know that I was terrible to everyone...especially you. You who were so...so nice and sweet to everyone. You didn't deserve anything that I did to you."

I stayed silent for a moment, my lips pursed. Finally, I got the courage to ask, "Then...why did you do it?"

Puck sighed, running a hand down his face. "It's complicated. I-I just... I like you, Polly. I've always liked you. And not as a friend."

My breath caught in my throat.

"And I was selfish and I...I only wanted you to myself. I was stupid. I thought the only way to get attention from someone like you - to get someone like you to like me back was..." he trails off, his dark eyes staring into my blue ones.

I looked away from him, a lump forming in my throat from the intensity of his gaze. He...liked me - still likes me?

"What about Trevor?" I finally asked, my mouth dry.

Puck shifted. "I was jealous of him, and wanted him gone. But when he cheated on you, I --"

"What do you mean?" I interrupted, glancing back at him. "Trevor didn't cheat on me."

Puck's eyes were clouded with confusion, before something like understanding dawned on him. "What did he tell you when he broke up with you?" Puck asked through gritted teeth.

I frowned, an uneasy feeling forming in the pit of my stomach. "He just told me you threatened him into breaking up with me."

"Lie," Puck said flatly. "I threatened him into staying away from you because I caught him cheating on you."

My heart burst with something that felt like giddiness and surprise. Puck did that...for me? The idea was hard to grasp after years of being tormented by him, but as I looked at him under the starry sky, I saw the genuine emotions swirling in his eyes as he stared up at the sky.

And for the first time in a long while, I not only felt my lips burst into a wide smile...but also, my eyes. Through the numerous emotions clogging up my throat, all that I managed was a quiet, but happy, "Thank you."

Happy New Years!!! May the odds of 2021 be in our favor!! :) Also, OMGOMGOMG, #1 in dark!!! ILYSM!!