Fourteen

The soft “Oh, dear.” Hagrid murmured was the understatement of the century, Mabel thought, as she noticed the expression of despair that had crossed his and Dipper’s faces.

Her brother narrowed his eyes soon after, though, and she reached out to put a hand on his shoulder casually, feeling him relax under the weight.

Everything would be fine.

As the group was walking back to their respective dorms, they turned into a corridor and they heard an owl screech.

Dipper looked up at it and then down to Mabel hugging Waddles to her chest. She’d be devastated if she lost him; Hagrid would be just as sad to lose the dragon he'd already become so attached to.

“Hagrid always wanted a dragon. He told me so the first time I met him,” Harry sighed.

“It's crazy. And worse, Malfoy knows.” Ron said, shaking his head. Harry looked to him briefly, “I don't understand. Is that bad?” he asked, making his friend nod grimly.

“It's bad.”

They stop as McGonagall, in her nightgown, appeared before them, a disapproving expression on her face.

“Good evening.”

Malfoy smirked smugly beside her, causing both Harry and Dipper to glare at him all the way to McGonagall's classroom. The accused stood in front of McGonagall's desk, while Draco stood three feet away sneering at them.

“Nothing, I repeat, nothing gives a student the right to walk about the school at night. Therefore, as punishment for your actions, 50 points will be taken from your houses.” McGonagall announced in a stern voice.

“50?!” Harry exclaimed.

“Each,” This time even Draco frowned as he realized his own house would suffer. Though the thought of it being the Pines’ fault gave him some satisfaction. “and to ensure it doesn't happen again, all seven of you will receive detention.” McGonagall finished.

Draco’s eyes widened to an almost cartoonish size.

“Excuse me, Professor. Perhaps I heard you wrong. I thought you said...’the seven of us’.”

“No, you heard me correctly, Mr. Malfoy. You see, as honourable as your intentions were, you too were out of bed after hours. You will serve detention with your classmates.” she said, admonishing him.

Mabel and Bill snickered openly at him while the others just smiled to themselves. McGonagall’s eyes flitted back to the group.

“I shall take your owl back to the owlery, Ms. Pines, if you’d be so kind as to give it to me. I expect you all to go straight to your dormitories. Good night.” she said, not giving them a chance to protest as she scooped Waddles up, balancing him on her forearm and swept away, out of her office.

“Hey, Bill?” Ron began suddenly, “How does that illusion thing work, he’s still a pig even though she can’t see it, so how come she can hold him like that and it’s not weird?” he asked, not even bothering anymore that Malfoy was clearly listening in.

“Reality is an illusion. Not everyone has the same dream.” was all he said, sounding as if it explained everything. And to him, it did. Mabel’s face met her palm while Dipper just buried his own face in his hands, shaking with silent laughter. The others didn’t bother asking again, feeling they wouldn’t get any better an answer.

“Well, we’ll be going, then.” Hermione said, speaking for the first time since they’d been caught. Dipper blinked at the sharp tone, seeing the clearly put out expression on her face.