III

"You look like someone hit you across the face with a chalkboard eraser

"You look like someone hit you across the face with a chalkboard eraser." Jackson chuckled. He handed me a cigarette as I sat down next to him on the park bench.

I sighed. "School sucks." He handed me the lighter after lighting his own.

Jackson laughed softly. "Rough day?"

I nodded. "If I hear one more thing about how to solve for x I might scream." I hate school. Math specifically. Numbers and letters should never be used in the same subject.

"Me too." Jackson pushed out a long huff of smoke.

I don't think he went to school today. I regret going. Most days I don't bother. No one would notice if I didn't. The truancy notices get thrown out with the rest of the bills that would never get paid.

"Why'd you go?" Jackson asked. He tapped the embers off of his cigarette. I watched an old woman give him the stink eye. He noticed too and winked at her, waving the cigarette in her direction. I laughed softly and pushed his shoulder.

"I went 'cause I'd rather be there than home." If there was one person who would understand that, it would be him. His life was just as sad as mine was.

"You should have come found me. I'm way cooler than those seventh grade dweebs you hang out with." I rolled my eyes, taking another puff of my cigarette.

"And what did you do all day?" I asked with a knowing smirk.

"I was not doing what you think I was doing." He crossed his arms over his chest like a petulant child as I hit his arm teasingly.

"You so were." He shook his head, making a clicking noise with his tongue.

"If you are implying that I spent my day trying to climb to the top of Wally's-"

"Again."

He glared at me. "-Yes, again. Then no, you would be wrong."

I laughed loudly. Wally's was the restaurant across the street from the apartment building Jackson lived in. It was a lot taller than the convenience store, and he had been trying to climb up it since we were little kids. He's never had any luck, nor will he, but for some reason he has been infatuated with the idea and will not give it up. It was incredibly stupid, and dangerous, but Jackson never seemed to care.

"Would I Jacks? Would I really be wrong?"

He pouted playfully and leaned back on the bench. "Maybe." He mumbled unconvincingly. "Hey, wanna go get some food? I heard DQ was giving away blizzards."

I shrugged, pulling my cigarette from my lips. "Sure. Let's do it."

He nodded and stood up. "So..." He hinted as we walked down the street.

"So..." I repeated, looking for some elaboration.

"I talked to Amber this morning."

I snapped my gaze to him, my eyes narrowed suspiciously. "About?"