EPILOGUE: THE MOON IS BEAUTIFUL ISN'T IT?

"OBJECTION YOUR HONOR!"

Umalingawngaw ang boses na iyon sa buong courtroom. Napangiwi naman ako dahil sa sobrang lalim ng boses ng lalaki ay halos dumagundong ang buong kuwarto.

"Ganap na ganap?" bulong ko sa sarili.

"The prosecution is making up allegations!" sigaw nito. "I demand them to present nothing but the facts. If they have no evidence to support their assumption, then they better off not to present it. They are believing on hearsay rather than looking at the truth!"

"Your Honor, I was just contextualizing the circumstantial evidence that we acquired!" ganti ng isa. "It is far from being a hearsay because the accused already confirmed it. We have it on the record. Let the truth speak for itself."

"Objection!" sigaw uli ng defense. "Your Honor, I demand to strike that record out of records. That's against my client's rights!"

"OBJECTION!" galit na ganti ng prosecution. "The accused was under oath when he said those during cross-examination. Does that mean the accused lied and you admit it?"

I heard gasps from the crowd.

"W-What?" gulung-gulo na tanong ng defense. Halatang hindi nito inaasahan na ma co-corner siya nang ganoon ka-bilis.

"Your Honor," sabi ng prosecutor. "I'd like to consider perjury."

Napangisi ako. Ito na nga ba ang sinasabi ko.

Perjury happens when you intentionally tell a lie when you testify while you are under oath that you will tell nothing but the truth.

"EXCUSE ME?!" the defense exclaimed.

Kumunot ang noo ko, at ganoon din ang prosecution.

"Anong excuse me?!?" ganti ng prosecutor.

"May problema ka ba sa 'kin?" tanong ng defense. "Halatang hindi na about sa korte 'to, e. May pinanghuhugutan ka ba?"

Tumaas ang kilay ko. Contempt of the court na ata 'to, ah?

"Order in the court!"

"Anong pinanghuhugutan?!" ganti ng prosecutor. "I don't care about you and your existence. Focus on the case!"

"Order in the court!"

"Focus on the case but you are attacking me and not the case?!"

"What the hell are you-"

"I SAID ORDER IN THE COURT!"

Sa sobrang lakas ng boses na iyon ay natigil ang lahat ng nagkakagulo. Lahat ng atensyon ay nabaling sa kina-uupuan ng judge na halata sa mukha ang inis.

Matapos tingnan ng lahat ang judge ay napukaw ang mga mata nila sa kumikinang na plaque sa harap nito na kung saan ang pangalan ng bagong judge ay naka-ukit mula roon.

'JUDGE NESKA ELLINOR HARRIETT'

Yes. That's me.

"What do you think you are doing, huh?" ma-awtoridad kong tanong. "Who gave you the right to disrespect me right inside my court?!"

"Y-Your Honor-" sasagot pa sana ang defense ngunit pinutol ko siya.

"The moment your client pleaded 'not guilty', we granted him this trial because that's part of the rights given to him by the Constitution. In that case, the prosecution has to prove that the accused is guilty beyond reasonable doubt as charged. On the other hand, the defense counsel has to make sure that all the constitutional rights of
his client are not violated during the process."