26 | epiphany

epiphany (n.)

a sudden, profound realization; a moment when you suddenly feel that you understand or become conscious of something very important

* * *

TEN minutes later, I arrived at the trailhead to Eli's secret spot—the only place in town nobody (save for Eli) would find me. The chances of him showing up here on Christmas were very slim, so I felt confident in my choice of a hiding spot.

I stumbled down the barely-there path, getting scratched by stray bush branches along the way. My right hand acted as a windshield wiper for my eyes, clearing away the tears that continued to fall freely.

I tripped over a rock—due to my lack of proper footwear—and fell down into the untouched snow. Laying surrounded by the cold, white powder, I started laughing hysterically.

There was no humor in my situation, but I couldn't control my body. It was like I teleported to an alternate dimension, where left was right and down was up.

My brain's command on my body left the chat, allowing my dwindling sanity to take over.

After much effort and concentration, I stood up and continued floundering down the path.

Taking shuddering breaths, I took a seat on the largest rock.

The ocean below me provided a welcome distraction. Its waves were violently crashing into the rocks, spraying saltwater into the air.

I shivered as the wind picked up, but made no effort to keep warm; at least I was feeling something other than anger.

That thought alone caused the tears to reappear in full-force, and my vision quickly blurred. And I preferred it that way—it was yet another distraction from the ugliness of the world. I didn't have to look around and see the dying trees, the brownish snow, and how utterly alone I was.

My salty tears acted as a buffer, softening the harsh blow of reality. My life wasn't a fairytale. I wasn't a princess who would be saved by a prince and whisked away for a happily ever after.

Instead, I would be whisked away to Chicago by the villain, living miserably ever after.

A gut-wrenching sob escaped my mouth. More followed as I became a blubbering mess on that dirty rock.

I was so caught up in my pity party, I didn't even hear the footsteps and snapping twigs behind me.

"Um, hi," a familiar voice said.

I whipped my head around, startled by Eli's sudden appearance.

In hindsight, it wasn't all that surprising, but I had completely brushed off the prospect of him finding me. I should have known that he would show up sooner or later—even though it was Christmas, it was still his spot.

Maybe on some level, my brain directed me here on purpose, knowing that only his presence would heal me.

"Hey," I sniffled, swallowing the lump in my throat. "H-how did you... find me?"

Looking at his blue dress shirt and khaki pants, I inwardly groaned.

He had to be dressed up when I looked like a pile of shit. Snot was oozing from my nose. My crying eyes were assuredly puffy and bloodshot. I would also bet good money that my hair was a rat's nest too. Why did I have to be such an ugly crier?