nineteen

WREN THOMAS

It was 10 o'clock at night on a Friday and Lacey was singing karaoke in my living room while a very tired Jack curled into a ball by my side, a half eaten bowl of melted ice cream on the floor.

"Someone sugar crashed." Lacey panted, mid way through her song. 

I looked down at Jack, his eyes struggling to stay open, "Yeah. I'm gonna put him to bed, I'll be back."

Picking him up gently, he fell limp in my arms, finally succumbing to his tiredness as I walked the stairs to his room.

I silently cursed myself as I stepped on his legos and wooden trucks, seeing his bed in my vision as I pulled open the covers.

I tucked him in, turning on his dinosaur nightlight before heading to the door, "Was that Sebastian downstairs?" His voice said. 

I nodded, "Yeah, why?"

"I didn't know you two were friends anymore." He yawned. 

I smiled, "I'm not sure what we are." I whispered, kissing his forehead, "I don't like him." He pouted. I laughed, "Why not?"

He frowned, "He hurt your feelings." 

My smile faded, "Yeah, he did. But, people can apologise and say sorry. Sebastian and I are working toward being friends." 

"He doesn't deserve to be your friend!" He said angrily.

"Woah, Jack. Why are you upset?" I ask him.

"Sebastian was mean to you. He made you see that doctor lady and get put on those meds that made you sad." He raised his voice, "Jack. It's okay. I'm okay now."

Jack rolled his eyes, "Whatever."

I said goodnight to him before leaving his room, jumping in fright when I see Sebastian leaning against the handrail.

He had a sad look on his face, eyes were glazed over.

"Hey, are you okay?" I ask him, walking over to his slumped figure, he locks eyes with me.

"Sebastian?" I question.

He breathes in, "Wren I- can I talk to you. Somewhere private?"

I nod my head, growing concerned as I lead him to my bedroom.

I shut the door behind him, leaning against it as he takes a look around my room, hands in his pockets as he turns to face me.

"Listen I owe you a huge apology." He starts off.

My eyes widen, "I was a jerk. I know that. I treated you like shit and deep down I know you didn't deserve that." I was shocked by his apology, "You're a good person Wren, and all those things you said about me that night, you're right."

I shook my head, cutting him off, "No. Sebastian I was not right. You didn't deserve to go to Juvie. You are a good person who just went down the wrong path okay? Everyone does it. And I am so sorry that you were on the receiving end of it."

Sebastian scoffed, "Why do you have to be so nice, huh? I wanted to hate you so bad." He mumbled.

My eyes welled up with tears as one dripped down my cheek, an overflow of emotions overwhelming me right now, "What? W-why?"

"I spent my time in Juvie resenting you, because I thought you were the one who called the cops. And when I got out, I realised that you couldn't have, because we were fighting for hours. And no matter how pissed off you were with me, you didn't even have your phone in your hand I-"

"So you believe me?" My voice broke.

Even Sebastian looked teary, "I do. And I am so so sorry for everything I did and everything I put you through. I swear I didn't mean it." He swallowed, voice shaking.

I nodded my head, "I accept your apology." I whispered.

His lips twitched into a smile slightly and he walked toward me, before his face fell, "But I know who did call the cops, and you're gonna hate me for telling you and then hate them too, and I don't want you to hate me." 

I'm confused, "Why would I hate you?"

"Because I've known for three weeks. And I haven't known how to tell you."

I took a step back, "You've known for three weeks, and still continued to bully me?" 

Sebastian nodded, casting his eyes to the floor, "And I am so incredibly sorry, Wren. I feel so guilty for everything. I wish I could take it back."

I was breathing heavily, the sound of Lacey's karaoke in the back ground beginning to piss me off.

"Who is it?" I seethed, feeling anger bubble in me.

"What?"

"Who is it. Who called the cops on you?" I asked.

Sebastian shook his head quickly, "I can't. I can't tell you that." 

I balled my hands into fists, "Sebastian, tell me who did it." 

We held a gaze for a while that made me think back to when we were kids, when Sebastian and I would get into trouble and neither of us spoke, because we didn't want to snitch. 

It reminds me of when we were carefree and didn't think about things like crushes or popularity.

"Wren please don't make me tell you." He whispered.

"Goddammit Sebastian! Just tell me who ruined my life and I'll let it go."

He visibly tensed, moving away from me as tears spilled from my eyes, "I've hated myself for years and now I hate myself even more for what I did to you. But I can't tell you who it is, because then-"

"What? I'll have no one? I already have no one Sebastian. You made sure of that." I hissed, throwing my fists against his chest. He caught my wrists before I could hit him again and I tore my hands out of his grasp, my wrist throbbing from the pressure.

"You made sure everyone knew I was a loser. I'm surprised Lacey even talked to me after that. I had no friends, Sebastian."

"We were friends." He said.

"Once. But then you decided you were too cool to be friends with a loser like me."

He eyes fluttered shut for a second, "Your words, not mine." 

He had continued to stare and it was then I noticed Lacey had entered the room.

"What's going on in here? Are you okay?" She asked me.

"Sebastian found out who called the cops on him three years ago. But he won't tell me."

Lacey tensed and her eyes grew wide, "How long ago did you find out?" Her voice was small. Sebastian glared at her, "Three weeks ago." 

It finally clicked in my mind why these two were so adamant on hanging out with me tonight.

+ + + 

uh oh.

someones in biiiiiiiiiiiiig trouble