Chapter Twenty-Nine: Decisions

Charlotte rushed into the house and took the back stairs up to her room. Her wailing cries were so loud that Owen heard her.

He slammed his pencil down and rose from his chair. When he stepped into the hall, Michael stood outside the room he used as an office. His eyes were focused on the ceiling in the direction of the noise.

Earnest approached them, glanced towards the noise of crying, and then spoke loudly saying, "I have been informed that Lord Radley has gone to Whites and wishes you to know he plans to get drunk." Earnest waited for instructions.

Owen nodded. "That will be all for now. Thank you, Earnest." When his servant left, he glanced at Michael asking, "What do you think happened?"

"My brother has plans to buy a house. He pictured marrying your sister and wanted to have a home here in London, since he spends most of his time working here. Afterwards, his intentions were to show her the elite in Hyde Park. He planned to introduce her if he found anyone he knew. However, if I were to guess, I'd say she finally cut him with one of her sly disparaging comments. Whenever I caught them in any romantic moments, she shoved him away as if she could barely tolerate him."

Owen pulled the side of his lip up in a similarity of a shrug. "She enjoyed his kisses. I've seen them more than once. I believe it may have something to do with being caught in such an intimate act."

"He would not be pleased she wished to hide her feelings for him or kept him distant as if there was nothing between them. He's been very clear about is feelings for her. Lately, I've caught the way he looks at her after she shoves him away. He's having doubts. I would too for that matter," Michael said.

A small affectionate smile lit Michael's eyes as he told Owen, "I watched Vivian around Ben. She made my brother feel as if he was the biggest part of her happiness. She couldn't get close enough to him. Such a things is rare among the ton, especially with contracted marriages. However, Father gave Ben excitement of being so special to be chosen for this girl. A girl who would love him with all of her heart if he gave her his. Being so young, I thought the idea of loving a stranger that much was insane. Now, I wish Father had found me a bride."

With a sigh, Owen nodded. "When she learned of the contract to marry Ben, her determination to be with him grew ten fold." He glanced up the stairs and shook his head. "She obviously cares, but if a woman dismissed me, I doubt I'd have fallen in like with her, much less called it love. Your brother has a strong will." He took the stairs two at a time to see if he could help.

He knocked just before swinging the door open. "What the bloody hell did you do this time to cause that man to go get drunk? He's not one to overly indulge without being driven to it. What the bloody hell did you say to him? I thought you had some feelings for the man."

She cried harder so he crossed the room and sat beside her on the bed. "Well, by what I witnessed, you could only tolerate his advances in very small doses. It's best to make the break now before we travel to Ben's. Eventually, you'll meet someone who will live up to your expectations."

He had no idea why her wails began to screech like a violin out of tune. "Do you know if he plans to return here or go home?" When her sobs began to be so noisy that they drowned out his words, he stood to leave. "You'll feel better after I take you home to mother." When she pounded the pillow with her fist, he got up and left the room.

Michael waited at the foot of the stairs as Owen came down. "Any luck finding out?"

"No, all she was doing was making that godawful noise. Ben could handle her, but I've never tried. Guess I'll take her home to our parents and let them deal with her. Ben won't want her visiting them at Kendal with the way she's behaving."