14 | mother putting fabulous

Greg woke up and turned off his alarm

Greg woke up and turned off his alarm. At exactly a quarter past seven, he strode into the toilet, picking up his toothbrush. One minute on the top, thirty seconds on the bottom, fifteen seconds on his tongue. He gargled his mouthwash, dressing in slacks, a blue shirt, and a tie. His usual Wednesday outfit.

Then he went to his computer.

He opened a private browser, set the time frame to a week, and then typed in the search term, his fingers following the familiar pattern of keys: Alicia Martinez.

No results popped up.

Greg closed the laptop, adjusting his pinstriped tie. It was fine. He could be patient. One day, a search result would pop up.

And when it did, he would know what to do.

"So," Rory said. "I've had an idea."

Max looked up from the table. They were sitting in a penthouse in Los Angeles, an array of croissants, berry jams, melon and cheese spread out before them. Outside, the ocean stretched out like a blue ribbon, dotted with tanned Americans bobbing on surfboards. Theo set down his book, arching an eyebrow.

"A good idea?"

"A brilliant idea."

Theo smirked. "Brilliant like the time that you suggested skiing backwards down that hill in Toronto?"

"No, no." Rory waved him off. "Far better than that. And it won't end in a trip to the emergency room." He paused. "At least, I don't think it will."

"Well, go on, then," Max said dryly. "Don't keep us in anticipation."

Rory gave a rather dramatic pause. Then he splayed his hands on the table.

"We should go visit Ollie."

Max and Theo exchanged a look. Oh, god. This was like the time they had gone to a haunted mansion, and Rory had almost cried in the clown room; the other boy was so excited when they finally made it through that Max had felt terrible explaining to him that, in fact, there were several more clown rooms to go.