Chapter Sixty One

Elijah went completely pale, looking up at Kerberos who frowned darkly, his face the picture of inner conflict. He looked about ready to leap at him, knowing he was the person who had sliced up my chest but the fact was that he had done so in an effort to protect me, if I hadn't jumped in between them and saved that creepy tigers life I wouldn't have been injured in the first place. It was instincts versus logic.

Instead of pouncing he hunched a little forwards and I felt the rumble of a growl that only I could feel, that none of us could hear.

I took a deep breath and exhaled, relieved that I hadn't just made a huge mistake.

"That- I don't want anything bad to happen to you."

"Why not help me before, why not find me a place to stay before, when I needed it!"

"I-"

"I'm sorry that happened to you!" I growled. "I really am. But that hasn't happened to me here. I'm happy here! I can't just pretend we've been buddy buddy all this time. You ignored the shit out of me when I needed you. You were in a position to help me when I was almost fucking homeless and picking up scraps to make my way. You could have helped but you didn't."

"I wanted to make sure you were sober and drug-free. Then I would have helped you, you wouldn't take one test!"

I laughed bitterly. "Would it have made that much of a difference? Maybe you should ask yourself why! If I was on drugs or some kind of alcoholic, why wouldn't you want to help me then?!"

He went silent, holding his tongue his mouth a thin line as he looked down, trying to think of an answer.

I swallowed, awkwardly looking around the empty space at the branches and bushes and thin tall trees to see if anyone else was around. A couple sniffs confirmed nothing but us and the smell of the ferny trees. Only a few foreign scents that reminded me more of an forest animal than a human.

"You were doing pretty well... weren't you?"

I pinched my nose. "No..." I sighed. "I wasn't."

And he knew it, he always regarded me as a hopeless failure and looked down on me like I was a black hole sucking up money.

Maybe he had this idea that even though I wasn't doing well financially I was being some lazy arse leaching off of my friends, hell, I'd felt that way too. But living here had reminded me that everyone got an education, everyone had the base level of qualifications, of living standards necessary to grow up and pass the threshold in their lives where it became possible for them to find a job, even if it was just one working for a factory. I never got to pass that point.

There was a silence between us. I took a big bite from my sandwich. It was good, amazing in fact, and the beer was great with it. First proper sandwich I'd ever made when I thought about it.

He took a deep breath. "Well, I'm here now."

"Yes, you are." I nodded, because it was true, he was inexplicably and suddenly here now.

"And now that you know what will happen, what their game is, you won't come with me?"

I groaned looked up at him. "I'm not going through what you went through!"

"I don't believe you!" He glared.

My eyes widened, I felt speechless. "What do you mean?"

"You don't know what it's like, how it starts, and neither does he!" He glared, pointing at Kerberos. "Whatever training he's giving you, he thinks it's for your own good, it's not!"