Chapter Three

~•~

Mother describes the Moon hanging low in the sky, though she rejects using more detail for my sake. Nevertheless, I'm grateful for her telling me anything.

My trembling has yet to cease since my prior incident with anxiety of being in a crowd, though I'm content in my position. The sun has, for the most part, gone down, and now I'm left with a fully dark mural between my irises and ether space.

People begin to shift, as I hear the relentless cracking of human bones, morphing into that of a wild canine. From what I know, people come from all over to feel the wholeness of our community connect with the Moon. The way they describe the feeling of shifting, allowing their primal instincts to take over and feel the interconnectedness of the earth, moon and spirit. It makes my body ache with longing, knowing I'm not capable of doing so.

I feel more than one strong presence approach the central, smelling their overpowering scent from a kilometre away. Almost overbearing, I feel the vulnerability of being in the presence of a powerful individual, or two.

I seem to be the only soul who noticed the insurgence of mightiness engulf the area, until a boisterous roar eurupts. Our pack's alpha, Alpha Colter, forcefully turns everybody's attention to him. Not even crickets dared defy the silence spread clad through the atmosphere.

"This year's festival of the Moon shall be greater than ever," he speaks, though it is heard by every sole ear. "We will thank the Moon for this season's food, our land, and our kinds ability to exist." The passion in his speech is unrelenting. He continues on, each word he says fueling the minds of his pack, making them feel accepted and worthy. He is a great leader, the best in our vicinity.

"I thank Alpha Alaric for joining us on this great night's ceremony," some gasps were heard, murmurs dispersed through the many. Alpha Alaric, I quiver. The most infamous alpha alive today, notorious for killing any questionable body that steps within his territory. At least those were the rumours that spread around my pack.

He doesn't even believe in the Moon Goddess, someone whispers, why is he here? Their answers would be as good as my own.

"Praised be," a sickly, smooth voice travels through the air, an ominous quietness settles right after. It is evident the unknown voice came from the alpha, the way his speech exudes authority. He holds the exact scent that evaded my thoughts all afternoon, something I have never smelled before, something foreign. Eventually, the crowds are able to manifest words yet again, taking part in festivities to come.

It is just about time, almost everyone has shifted by now. I know this by the auras of the bodies that surround me. They're instinctual; primal, fundamental. My mother even shifted, leaving me to my own devices, alone in a gazebo in the centre of the park.

I listen reluctantly to the cracking of bones, Alpha Colten first, then the rest following his lead. Alpha Colten begins the ceremony with his defeating howl, marking his stakes again, over his land and people. Strayed howls chime together, all at once, one at a time, they pray to the Moon and all of her glory. Their instinctual cries rip something deep within my core, a serenity that passes through my body, desiring to join the raving hounds and their spiritual dance of the night. I can feel their souls connect with mine, a drawing within me growing stronger and deeper, exaggerating every part of my being into something I do not recognize. My body is on autopilot and I am pushed far beyond consciousness, something else entirely, controlling my will to move. I cannot see what I'm inching towards, but I can tell my body does. It moves for me, reaching the other end of the gazebo, folding my body over the railing to gawk at the full moon in the middle of the night sky, as if my body can see what I can't

"You are not partaking in tonight's ceremony?" It tears me back to my half-conscious state, A being from behind me utters loudly into the wind. He is speaking to me. Fear strikes me down cloud nine, almost willing myself to the ground. I am back at the forefront of my own mind, alarm bells screaming from each direction. Skillfully, I place myself on the bench at the opposite side of the gazebo, then the stranger. His presence exudes mine, not only naturally, but dominantly. A familiar scent of something similar to sweetly roasted coffee, mixed with something earthly.

"And why are you not participating? Are you not grateful for your saviour?" He replied to himself, my confidence in speaking residing below sea level.

I know who he is, yet I don't why he is here. He doesn't know about my inability to shift. If he finds out, I bet he'll kill me. He will know how utterly useless I am and being the ruthless Alpha everyone whispers him to be, I'm sure he will.

My head bowed in a heavy mannor, not in respect, but in trepidation. I discern his unwavering gaze over my ill silhouette.

"Look at me."

I opened my eyes, though it made no difference. Black is still black, all I am left with are my four senses. He will kill me if I don't look. He will kill me if I do. He will look into my sightless eyes and see my futile existence isn't worth living. He will kill me, and be will be doing the pack a justice by it.

He growls a low, throaty snarl to warn me about disobeying an alpha. There will be consequences, we both know that. His lingering growls let me know he is not going to allow me to contravene his word.

I steadily inch my head upwards, visibly shaking everywhere else. Maybe he won't notice my depthless eyes from across the gazebo. My life depends on it.

"You're blind."

~

Word Count: 996