Chapter 14 - Roller coaster

Today is Sam's birthday. Sebastian and I were busy the entire day yesterday decorating my place to make it look all colorful and fit for a party. I even managed to bake him a cake. I told Sebastian to go pick up Sam at his place and bring him here. I'm hiding behind the door, so that I can jump out from behind and shout surprise! as soon as they enter my house. I hope Sam will be excited. I'm sure he will.

Suddenly I hear someone pull at my doorknob, and the door slowly opens. I jump out excitedly and yell "surprise!", but I hide my face in embarrassment when I realize that Sebastian and Sam weren't the ones who just entered my house. It was Shane. He looks at me in confusion and I quickly apologize. I explain that I'm throwing a surprise birthday party for Sam and am just waiting for him and Seb to arrive.

He nods his head and hands me a bag "Marnie said I should bring this to you. Also, I'm heading out to meet my new therapist today. Thought you should know." I smile at him "that's great! Tell them hi from me!" He nods his head "Anyway, have fun kid. Tell Sam happy birthday from me.", he says and then leaves.

I'm so proud of him for finally seeking out help, I hope his first session will go alright. He seems to be in a pretty good mood today. He even said I should wish Sam a happy birthday. Normally he wouldn't have cared enough to say that. Suddenly I hear the door knob again and I quickly jump behind my door. When it opens, and two people enter, I quickly jump out and shout "surprise!" once more, and this time, it's actually the two people I've been waiting for.

Sam looks around the room surprised and smiles at me happily. "You planned all this for me?", he says and points at himself. I nod my head rapidly "Happy birthday skater boy", I say and reach out my hand to shake his, but instead, he pulls me into a hug, tightly squeezing my body and quickly letting go again "Thank you so much!". I take a deep breath after he just pressed all my air out of my lungs and mumble "You're welcome" underneath my breath.

Sebastian puts his hand on my shoulder. I look at him. "You okay?", he says quietly, while Sam is enthusiastically jumping around the room. I nod my head. When Sam turns around, Sebastian quickly pulls his hand away and I stand back up straight. "You guys really are the best! I've never had someone throw me a surprise birthday party before! You know what's missing now, though?", he asks and leaves us some time to guess "Penny?", Sebastian asks and smirks.

Sam blushes and covers his face with his hands "nooo". I look at both of them confused "Why Penny?". Sebastian chuckles "Sam definitely has a little crush on her. Just thought it would be funny to annoy him", Sam rolls his eyes "I don't have a little crush on her", he says annoyed. I look at him "a huge crush?", I ask and grin. He pouts at me. "Okay, okay. We'll stop." I giggle at him and lead him to the dining table, where I've nicely displayed his birthday cake. I even bought a couple candles to put on top and light up.

He stands in front of it, closes his eyes to make a wish and blows the candles out. "Did you wish for Penny?", Sebastian asks teasingly. Sam punches his arm "You said you'd stop!" "Sami did, I didn't agree, though." Sam sighs "Maybe I did. What are you gonna do about it?", Sebastian doesn't reply and hands me his plate, asking me to grab a slice of cake for him.

"By the way, we can do some karaoke later. I even bought party hats!", I suggest and Sam claps his hands "Yes please! Would we have to go to the Saloon for that, though?", he asks and I nod my head. "If that's okay for you guys", Sebastian simply shrugs his shoulders and Sam nods.

After enjoying some cake and playing a bunch of board games, we head to the Saloon to play pool and sing some karaoke. It's still afternoon, so this place is pretty empty and we can be as loud and annoying as we want to be. All three of us sing for a while, until Penny shows up to wish Sam a happy birthday and they both head outside for a bit, while Seb and I stay inside and sit on the couch.