Chapter 4. New York

Thursday has arrived and I'm on my flight about to land in New York. The entire flight has forced me to question if I'm doing the right thing. All I can think about is if I refused to come here, I might lose my job and lose everything I have worked so hard for. I am being made to feel guilty for wanting to provide for my family, and I won't apologize for taking care of my family.

"Damn it, I now have a pounding headache," I snap as I rub my forehead.

"Sir, we are about to land, please fasten your seat belt," the flight attendant instructs me. I obey and click my seat belt together and lean back, preparing myself for the landing.

"This is the part I hate the most about flying," I say through gritted teeth.

"Sir, are you alright?" Another flight attendant questions me.

"Oh, yes. You would think me having to fly a lot for my job I would be used to this by now, but I still have a bit of fear with the landing part," I say and hear her soft chuckle.

"Are you driving anywhere?" She asks me.

"No, there should be a car waiting for me once I'm off the plane," I reply. She hands me a couple small bottles of whiskey, I gladly accept them.

"Just promise me you won't drive yourself anywhere tonight. The whiskey should help calm your nerves.

"Thank you, um,"

"I'm Pamela."

"And I'm Cruz. Thank you Pamela," I give her a smile before grabbing my bags.

As I exit the plane, I hurry myself through the airport. Making my way outside, I see my ride and quickly make my way over to it. The driver places my bags in the back and I climb in, wanting to call Aubrey, but hesitate.

"Please let her be calm and let her be willing to talk to me," I pray as I dial her number.

"Cruz, I told you not to call me."

"Well, hello to you too, babe."

"Don't call me babe right now. I'm still pissed at you," she growls.

"Yeah, I can tell from the harsh tone of your voice."

"What do you want, Cruz?"

"What do I want, Aubrey? I want us not to fight and you to understand this is my job. We have a daughter to support and a fifteen hundred dollar monthly house mortgage, and two vehicle payments. Not to mention- "

"Sir, you still going to the Roosevelt Hotel?" The driver questions me.

"Damn it, she just hung up on me."

"Um, sir?" The driver asks.

"Yes, please take me to the hotel. I need more than just these tiny bottles of whiskey. I will visit the hotel bar soon. And hopefully for just tonight, forget how much my life sucks right now."

"Okay. we will be at the hotel in just a few moments, Sir. Hope you feel better soon."

"Yeah. I some how have my doubts. This day just can't possibly get any worse."

"Maybe think happy thoughts," he suggest much to my annoyance.

"Happy would be my wife being understanding her husband has to work in order to provide for my family," I whisper as I rub my forehead.

"Here we are, sir. Maybe try and find something relaxing?"

"I'm guessing no. I'm already stressed out. Here is your tip."

"I wish you all the best, sir."

"Thank you. Let's hope my marriage isn't over."