Vacancy (Part 1)

VACANCY

Monday, March 12th, 11:00 PM

12 hours.

12 hours to find a place or end up homeless. Life is good. Hostel money's gone, parents aren't sending reinforcements for another two weeks, and I can barely afford free breakfast. Online apartment hunting sucks on an empty stomach. It's not much better when I'm full.

The Internet on the 5th floor moves about as fast as dial-up.

My roommate's a seven-foot Italian and pretty much my only alternative to Craig's list. He's got his real estate license. I've asked for his help, but he hates speaking English outside of basic introductions. I wanna think he's cool. He'd be cooler if he shared his housing wisdom, but he won’t.

Whatever.

I'd beg, but it's probably better not to bother a sleeping giant.

My Craig's list options are down to an expensive piece of shit in east London or a crack den an hour outside the city.

I aimed for the nicer places at first—the cozy English cottage types that lonely old cat ladies live in. I sent out at least fifteen emails asking about a room "to let", but old ladies don't answer emails so there goes that.

The cute girl at the front desk downstairs said I could stay with her if all else fails. She doesn't mean it, but at least she's got a nice smile. She probably smiles like that at everyone. I can't bring myself to tell her that I'm gonna be homeless after check-out.

Street-student-swag isn't sexy.

I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do. My university didn't include a how-to-guide for scholarship kids too broke to afford student housing.

I thought I'd find something. Maybe I will.

12 hours left to get lucky.

C'mon London, love me a little.

Don't hit and quit me this early.

I wanna make this work for the long-term.

Here’s to hoping,

        -James

                                                        ***

Tuesday, March 13th, 3:00 AM

I can't sleep.

I probably should considering this is my last night in an actual bed. I've checked my email 65 times. My eyes hurt. Every time I refresh I get a little bit excited and then the heart shattering "no new mail" message pops up and ruins everything. I check it again anyway.

        1 New Message

Please God don’t let it be spam. It isn't. It's a fucking miracle.

        Subject: Room to Let

Dear Mr. Bradford,

        I hope my email finds you well. I recently received your request to let my spare room in my home. I'm happy to inform you that I'm able to accommodate you for the dates of your stay. My home is 20 minutes outside of central London by train. If this isn't an inconvenience to you, feel free to come by the house tomorrow morning with the rent and deposit.

        Best regards,

        -Martha Halcott

Martha is my new best friend. She's crazy to be up answering emails this late but maybe she's one of those cool British mod chicks from the 60's who doesn't realize that the 60's ended.