Part Twelve - Together

Winner sat on the couch, looking over the plans on the whiteboard. Their lips were pursed tight.

"Are you sure you want to help?" Barf Bag asked. "I don't want to pressure you into anything you don't want to do," She stood leaned against the wall and arms crossed. Winner nodded.

"As scary as this all is, sitting around like this won't help anything," Winner admitted. "We're sitting ducks. The murderer's bound to come after us," Winner bit their lip. "That, and my friend has an idea of who we're looking for,"

"Wait, what?" Donut stood up straight. "Why didn't you tell anyone?" He asked. Winner curled up, making Donut back off.

"I didn't want to start a witch-hunt," They said, burying their face in their collar. "Ice Cube said it was her, that the people she was going after was way too convenient..." Barf Bag blinked, her brow furrowing as she looked out the window. "Say...didn't Golf Ball and Tennis Ball leave early today?" She asked. Donut and Winner both looked up at her, then at each other.

"Yeah?" Donut said.

"Then...Lollipop and Gelatin..." Barf Bag rubbed her chin, her brow lowering over her eyes.

"Barf Bag, what do you mean by that?" Winner asked, a pluck of worry tugging at them.

"It's just...they've been gone all day..." Barf Bag looked out to the woods as the sun set over them. For a moment, she could've sworn she saw the bushes below rustling.

——

"Coiny, we should really get back," Pin rubbed her arms as she watched the setting sun. "You know what happened with Gaty, and I would rather not be next..."

"Don't worry, I'm just looking for that worm I saw earlier..." Coiny dug through the bushes on the edge of the forest. Pin looked over her shoulder. Despite her being the stronger of the two, having Coiny around made her feel much safer. Was it his optimism? Or perhaps his comforting words? Or maybe...

A warm blush graced her cheeks. His copper hair shone so nicely in the evening light. Without much thought, she reached over and gently stroked his hair.

"Oh! H-Hey!" Coiny chuckled, intertwining his fingers with Pin's. She blinked out of her trance and blushed.

"Ah! Oh, s-sorry!" She stuttered, pulling away and shrinking back. Coiny stood up and brushed his knees off, chuckling.

"No need to be sorry, I consider it a compliment," He reached up and stroked her shoulder. His hands were so gentle and warm, despite him being mostly metal. Pin relaxed and gave him a warm smile. At that moment, all her anxiety vanished, and it was just the two of them out there.

A faint yell came from the woods. Pin and Coiny stiffened, eyes darting to the woods in near synchronicity. Another yell, though this time, it drifted off, growing quiet. They stood, frozen.

"D-Did you hear that?" Coiny asked. Pin nodded, eyes wide.

"We need to leave," She said, already turning to go back to the hotel, Coiny stopped her.

"Hey, wait! What if they need our help?" Coiny asked. Pin paused, looking between him and the hotel.

"What if the killer's already got them though?" She asked, her hands beginning to tremble. "They might turn on us, and they might hurt you! I-I can't..." Pin stopped and took a breath in. Her body was trembling. Coiny held her hands.

"Hey, hey, don't worry," Coiny spoke in a soft voice. "Look, you and I are tough as nails. If the killer wants either one of us dead, they're gonna have to get past us together," Pin looked him in the eyes, a tinge of worry still there. "Besides, what if the person out there's still alive? We could save them, and it'd be three against one," He smiled.