Chapter 14

I woke up in my bed, bolting upright at a peculiar sound. The night hadn't closed over the house entirely yet, but still set off a darkening glow nonetheless – but the fact that I had woken up suddenly made me lay back down with an over exasperated sigh.

    Something pinched my waist; looking down, I saw it was just my jeans. After arriving home from school, I decided getting dressed wouldn't kill anyone – just Jesse, but it wasn't as if I was worried about him. It was kind of depressing that I was dressed to go on a date – ...I mean a carnival with a friend – but instead of going out, I was lying in bed, awaiting a peaceful sleep. Which was coming by more difficult than I thought.

    I closed my eyes again, letting out a small exhale of breath.

    Until I heard the strange and now annoying sound again.

    Of all places in the room, it was coming from the window. And I admit, I felt my heart quicken in pace at the thought that someone was trying to break in through my window. I mean, attacking them with a bat wouldn't be a problem, but I was too young to go to jail for murder – or considering the placement of my room and how far it was from the ground, second-degree murder if my actions weren't considered self-defense.

    As I approached the window, I saw leaves fall in front of it. Taking a guess and casting off the noise as that, I opened the window and brushed some strayed off leaves away from the ledge, looking up to find where it had come from.

    Only until a hand caught mine.

    But my scream was blocked off with another.

    I was propelled backwards, onto the cold wood of my floor – with someone heavy landing on top of me. I looked up at the face – but then changed my entire expression directed at the culprit with more hate than I had for anything in my entire life – maybe even past that if it were possible.

    His blue eyes shined bright in the dark light, and even though I felt the compelling urge to swoon, I brought my hands up and tried to push him off. "Get out!"

    He smiled, more amused than ever for a strange reason. "You want to make me, doll face?"

        "I don't make trash, I burn it."

    He scoffed. "That comeback is old."

        "So is your mom, but you still listen to her."

    His expression fell – and apparently so did his hair, coming quite close enough to brush against my forehead. "I just came to make sure you weren't ditching me. We had a plan, and I intend on keeping it that way."

    I tried to push him off again, but this time with more force. "I'm not going. Now get out before I call the cops."

    Roughly, maybe even dangerously, he quickly grabbed my hands that were shoving him and slammed them to the floor beside my head – pinning them. With his hands in mine, I tried to claw at him – aiming for anything that would knock him off.

        "You're going whether I have to drag you out of your house and handcuff your hand to mine."

    I gulped, imagining how Hellish that would be. "And what if I really don't want to go?"

    His eyes left mine and drifted around the room, only to stop at the bed. "Well, if you want to stay here instead then by all means..."

    It was useless to struggle under his grip, but it didn't mean I'd stop trying. I brought my knee up and jerked forward, but only wound up in him falling over – landing me on top of him. I would have jumped off as quickly as I could, but his hands were still holding onto mine.