New Lives Part 54

Their concert that night was in one of the - as Ciara had put it before - millions of churches in Milan - and this one - though smaller in scale than the Duomo - was no less over-the-top in its decorative effect - inside and out.  The audience seemed to enjoy everything they saw and heard and the atmosphere was really celebratory.  Ciara had left the green room quickly at the end and then returned, holding the hand of a nervous-looking Italian with stunning brown eyes and long, lustrous, curly hair.

'Everyone, this is Sophia.'

Everyone was friendly and none more so than Hye-won, who guessed that this was the - gorgeous Italian - that Ciara had spoken of before.  She and the 2 women had a chat and 1 look at their smiles - Ciara's beaming and Sophia's warm but nervous - told her that the spark that Ciara had talked about being missing seemed to have be well and truly re-kindling between the 2.  It was no surprise when Ciara and Sophia took their leave soon after, while the rest returned by taxi to the hotel, where the couple left Dieter and In-seo to their plans for a relaxing night-cap in the hotel bar.

Once in their room, Seon-jae took 1 look at Hye-won - out on her feet after their busy day and night - and placing both hands on her shoulders, steered her to the bathroom: 'there are only 2 choices for you, my love - bath and bed, or just bed - which will it be?'

She gave a short laugh of surrender: 'bath and bed, I think?'

'Fine with me but I'm going to stay with you.  I don't think sleeping in the bath is safe.  How about the word according to ...?'

She laughed and nodded and he seemed pleased.

---

The soak was so relaxing after all the exertions of the last few days and Hye-won could feel the relaxation settle into her bones

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

The soak was so relaxing after all the exertions of the last few days and Hye-won could feel the relaxation settle into her bones.  Seon-jae was propped on the end of the bath with his extremely well-thumbed copy of the Richter biography that Hye-won had sent him, back in what seemed now like another life-time, her original underlinings - the first parts that he read - now so familiar to him that he genuinely felt like he had been born knowing them.  The word according to Richter game - that he had put the cute name on - was to open a random page and read a random entry - part of the book based on interviews, with other parts comprising diary entries of Richter's over the years.  They had found since Hye-won had come to Europe that almost every day had its Richter moment, when they would play this game.  

Hye-won's pick tonight - made after carefully drying her hands - was an entry of Richter's which scathingly contrasted the playing of 2 soloists, both playing suites.  The first - playing the fifth French Suite - he dismissed mercilessly: a famous artist; even so, her performance is so unconvincing that I keep realising that I'm not listening.  

Seon-jae raised his head from reading this first part of the entry and blew outwards, widening his eyes: 'wa - wow - he doesn't pull his punches, does he?  I know it's a private diary but he was a tough audience.'